Chapter 13.

Carmen.

1
2
3
Breathe.
"God, please let my baby be okay," I silently pray pacing back and forth.
We've been waiting over an hour to hear back from the doctors. My Mom said Isaiah was fine he even took a nap but when he woke up and Justin and I had not arrived yet he got worked up again.
I blame myself.
If I would have been here.
I'm his mother I was supposed to be here. GSU is the school that offered me the full ride so I knew I couldn't turn it down. I thought I was doing the right thing making a better life for Isaiah and I but now my baby is laying in a hospital bed.
"Mr. and Mrs. Foxx," the doctor walks into the room looking at my parents while nurses wheel in Isaiah's bed. He has a breathing mask over his mouth.
"I'm Isaiah's mother, Carmen and this is his father, Justin," I explain she nods turning her attention to us and shaking our hands.
"I'm Dr. Alexandra Dre, Isaiah suffered a massive asthma attack and he's very weak but he's in a much better condition now than before," she explains. "If he stays this way he'll be able to be discharged tomorrow. I'm writing a prescription for more albuterol and I want him taking breathing treatments every night before he goes to sleep."
"Okay Doc," I agree sitting down on the bed beside Isaiah. He's sleeping peacefully. I watch Justin shake the doctor's hand again and whisper a 'thank you' her and the nurses leave.
"Meme, I think it's best you take Isaiah with you," my Dad admits watching me hold him. "Your mother and I are getting older we can't continue to take care of him. He has asked for you every night since you last left he's not as happy living with us as he would be living with you."
"I think I'm gonna take him back with me to Atlanta," I admit getting everyone's attention. "We've been apart long enough. I want my baby with me I don't want to have to drive eight hours to get to him when he's sick. I feel too guilty."
"Don't feel guilty I'm so proud of you and if you feel like you can handle finishing your last semester and taking care of Isaiah then I'm not gonna stop you, sweetie," my Mom explains and kisses my forehead.
"I'll call my assistant and have Isaiah placed in a private school in Atlanta," Justin states. "It'll be a safer environment for him than public school. I also want a bodyguard on you at all times when you're out publicly and you moved out of your apartment."
"What are you talking about Justin," I ask looking at him confused.
"I need y'all safe at all times. There's gonna be some changes that will be made," he states. He's not even asking me he's telling me.
-------------------------------------------

"Mommy," Isaiah adjust his head on my chest. "Are we there yet?"
"No we still have a ways to go, baby."
"Well, I'm hungry." I run my hands through his curls.
"What do you want to eat, baby," I ask and kiss his forehead.
"Chicken fingers," he answers. "Daddy can I get chicken fingers?" He looks from me at Justin.
Justin really went all out rented an SUV and got a bodyguard to come pick us up and drive us back to Atlanta. He even has movers getting Isaiah's stuff and bringing it to Atlanta.
"Yes Zay you can get some chicken fingers. Carter stop at the next Bojangles so we can order some food through the driver thru," Justin instructs.
"Yes sir," Carter replies. Carter is a big guy about 6'5 and very muscular and he's the bodyguard.
"I don't mind driving after either. We have a long drive ahead of us," Justin offers.
I kiss Isaiah's forehead again. We've been driving for last two hours and the whole ride I've held him my arms I just can't let him go. I cried when he woke up in the hospital saying 'Mommy'.
"I'm tired of being in the car how much further," Isaiah asks pouting his lip. He's napped these first two hours but now that he's awake I'm sure he's just gonna complain the rest of the way.
"You want to watch cartoons on my phone," Justin asks and Isaiah sits up in my lap nodding his head yes. Justin hands me his iPhone 6. "Pull up some cartoons on Netflix for him, please."
I can see Justin is going to be the one that spoils Isaiah through the roof with gifts, love and cash.
"Daddy can I get a phone like yours," Isaiah asks looking up from the movie Turbo playing on the phone.
"Sure we can get you a phone but you have to keep up with it," Justin answers.
A phone?
He's five.
"Daddy and I will talk about it," I tell him. No one brings back up phone because what I say is final and I'm glad they know that.
--------------------------------------------

We get out the car at Bojangles instead of going through the drive thru so we can stretch our legs.
Maybe we should have gone to a different Bojangles because this one is packed. We walk in and immediately we receive everyone's attention.
"That's Justin McNealy," some teenage boys say to each other running up to us.
"Y'all gonna have to back up," Carter states doing his job and guarding us.
"It's okay Carter I don't mind signing a few autographs and taking a couple pictures," Justin admits while picking up Isaiah. "Carmen go through the line with Carter and get what you want."
I nod my head and follow Carter getting in line.
"Are you hungry, Carter," I ask looking at him.
"No ma'am," he answers quickly.
"Carter if I call you by your name I want you to call me by mine I'm Carmen," I say.
"I know your name Mrs. McNealy," he replies and smiles. "It's a work and respect thing."
Hmmm, Mrs. McNealy. I should correct him but I like the sound of it.
"Well you have my permission to call me by my first name I hope you respect those wishes," I say and he nods his head as we step up to the counter. "I'd like to order two of your four piece supremes combo with a side of fries and a biscuit with extra honey mustard.  Two grilled chicken wraps and four Bo-berry biscuits." I watch the cashier ring me up.
"22.49," she says giving me my total. I reach for my wallet but an arm reaches over me handing her forty dollars.
"Keep the change have it made fresh for us, please," Justin says and she nods smiling big at him.
"Ummm hey," Isaiah says look at her weird. "Why she looking like that Daddy," Isaiah asks aloud as Justin carries him to the other end of the counter. I laugh at my child's reaction to her he acts just like me sometimes.