Part 7

They only slept for about an hour. When Chris rolled over and glanced at the clock on her nightstand, it read 5:31 PM. She yawned. God, she was tired, and her body was sticky with dried sweat. The sheets of the bed were wrapped loosely around her frame, but Johnny was hogging the comforter. He was snoring peacefully. Christine smiled. God, he looked even cuter when he was asleep, more innocent in a way. She could've watched him forever.
Ow! Fuck. Her forehead flared with pain again, as if to say "Missed me?". Chris remembered she couldn't smile. Or move too quickly. And only five more weeks and six days left of this bullshit. Fucking terrific. Chris made a mental note to buy more Tylenol as soon as she got her clothes on, better yet, buy an industrial size bottle and carry a handful at all times. She'd definitely need it in the upcoming weeks.
Oddly enough, Christine's head hadn't hurt a bit during her and John's lovemaking, and she was moving as quick as lightning. Was that the power of love? John certainly took away her pain, he made her forget every single bad thing she had ever done with his kisses and his caresses. He touched her so softly, like she was something precious.
Chris slipped out of bed and went into the adjoining bathroom. She turned on the faucet to the tub, testing the water to make sure it wasn't too hot. When it was the right temperature, she let it fill the tub halfway. Next came the fun part. In her toiletry bag were the standard things: Toothbrush, toothpaste, face wash, soap. But Chris always packed another toiletry bag with certain "emergency" items: Tampons, chocolate, and her favorite, bath bubbles! Christine only ever really used them when she needed to relax, but this was a special occasion. She got the bubbles, popped off the cap, and poured them in the tub. Mmm, Lavender.
The bubbles grew and expanded until the entire tub looked like a giant, snowy mountain. They nearly overflowed the tub, though the tub was only half full. Perfect.
Chris left the small bathroom, shutting the door to keep the steam in. She got back into bed and snuggled up to John. She turned toward him and softly kissed his face, nibbling his ears.
"Wake up," Chris whispered, kissing his neck. Jesus, if they didn't have to play the show tonight she'd spend the whole night....
John stirred. He sat up and looked around. When he saw Chris, he smiled and said, "Well, good morning to me!"
"It's 5:30, stupid! We only fell asleep for an hour or so." Chris laughed.
"Well, thank god, because this means we have the whole night..." He traced Chris's back with his fingers. Chris took his hand and stood up, pulled him out of bed.
They went into the bathroom, which was nice and warm. The lights were on, making the bubbles reflect tiny rainbows across the wall. The whole bathroom smelled of lavender, a little too strong. Christine suddenly wished she hadn't put so much bubble bath in the bathtub. It's gonna be a bitch to clean up. She stepped into the tub, the bubbles reaching her mid-calf, and sat down in the water. John stood at the sink, clutching the counter of the sink. "Chris, I'm not so sure about this..."
"What?"
"Taking a bath!"
"Well, more for me then!" Christine said smugly, then lowered herself deeper into the water. She splashed water over her arms and blew bubbles, all the while making ooh and ahh sounds to let John know what he was missing. Men were so ridiculous, refusing a nice bath just to save their masculine pride! It's not as if bathtubs and showers were gender assigned.
John watched Chris for a while, then sighed and surrendered. He got into the tub with her, then splashed Chris playfully.
The water was nice, the bubbles nicer. Fuck, this is nice, John thought to himself. Why don't I take baths more often? Because you've never had the idea, he told himself. Because Christine has only just made you think of it.
They sat in the water for a while, another hour at least, enjoying the bubbles and of course, each other, but not like before. This time now was just innocent, they just washed each other and stole a few kisses. Nothing extreme. That would come later, when there was more time. Now they had to dry off and get down to business, there was a show to play.