Part 19

"I just can't see why you're so against it..."
"Because we're in the music business, Christine! We don't have the time or the energy for a baby." John slammed his hands on the table. Christine got up and walked across the kitchen, facing the window as she spoke. "You promised me the world," she said, her voice cold. "You know that all I've ever wanted is to be a mother."
"Well, Christine, I'm not ready to be a father..."

Chris had gone to the doctor in Phoenix a week ago. Now she was sitting in yet another hotel, this one in Detroit, waiting by the phone and debating if she could call for her test results or just wait. She couldn't wait any longer.

She picked up the phone, dialed the number, and anxiously listened to the dial tone. Ring ring ring...
The irritatingly chirpy voice of the young, enthusiastic receptionist sang in Chris's ear. "Hello, this is Tammy how may I help you?"
"Hello, this is Christine Mcvie, I came in about a week ago and I'm calling to see about my test results? I was seen by Dr. David Avery." Silence. "One moment please." Click.

Oh god oh god oh god. Christine's heart pounded in those short minutes the receptionist was away.
Click. "Mrs. Mcvie, this is Tammy again. I have your test results. Are you ready?"
"Yes." Chris just barely managed to whisper.
There was a shuffling of papers before Tammy said,
"Mrs. Mcvie, according to the test results you are seven weeks pregnant. Dr. Avery has written here that you expected to be due at the end of November."

Ohmygod. The phone slipped put of Chris's hand and crashed onto the floor with a clatter. She scrambled to pick it up before squeaking out, "Thank you for telling me. Goodbye." Then hanging up as fast as possible.

As much as he didn't want to have children, John wasn't very preoccupied with preventing them, either. It was odd.

Christine sat down hard on the bed, trying to get her thinking back on track. But her mind was everywhere. I'm having a baby, she thought, running her hand down the slope of her burgeoning middle, which was still small.

Baby, she thought, hoping somehow it could hear her and she wasn't just acting crazy. For you, I'll give the world. It's alright, I know it's right.