Part 24

Even years later, Chris would have no idea how she got to the hospital. The events after her water broke were hazy, like she was underwater, yet she was fully conscious. But she had no recollection, even when she searched the corners of her mind.

The air was frantic, filled with panic and pain. Chris was lying in a hospital bed, gasping for breath as another contraction overtook her.
"It'll be okay, Christine," John said beside her. He held her hand and brushed her hair out of her face, looking worried. When did he get here? Clearly the pain of the contractions were making her delusional.
She'd never forget how aware she was of the moment; aware of the colors on the walls, aware of overwhelming smell of antiseptic and Jell-O, aware of the grip she had on her husband's hand as she blanched in pain. Death by elephant would be better.

Christine had always imagined this day so differently; where everything went according to plan. But dreams are just dreams, and reality is always the winner.
When the baby was delivered, the room was silent except for the sounds of the working machines. When she didn't breathe, neither did Christine.
When she never opened her eyes, Christine wanted to close hers forever.
When she didn't cry, that's when Christine's world stopped.