Chapter 20

I Gotchu

“Get up!” Sophie shouted from across the room. “Up, up, up. Rise and shine sleepy head! Today’s going to be a great day!” She ran towards Nathan’s bed and yanked the blanket straight off; forcing Nathan to shiver at the sudden emptiness of being without one.

“No. Give it back dammit.” He curled up in a little ball to stay warm, still not making an attempt to wake up.

“I see Paris, I see France, I see Nathan’s underpants!” Sophie laughed out loud, making Nathan cover his ears with the pillow.

“You saw it last night too. When you slept with me.”

“Don’t say it like that! Ew, sleep with you. I shared half of your bed because you only have one. Oh nah uh am I sleeping on the floor, so until you go buy a new bed for me this is mine. So you actually slept with me in my bed.”

“Temporary. This is our temporary bed.” He mumbled as he got up. “That’s until you leave.”

There was this gutty feeling in Sophie’s stomach. Leave. Everyone left. But would he really just leave her, even after he promised he wouldn’t? She shook the feeling off, like she shook every feeling she ever had in her life. “Look….”

Nathan’s eyes were still heavy and he had to blink several times to actual focus on what Sophie was talking about. And when he did, he wasn’t too happy. “Oh fucking no. Sophie!!!!”

The room was a mess. Well to Nathan is was a mess, but actually it was the opposite. It was too clean. He couldn’t find what he needed in front of him, and that bothered him way too much. The clothes that were dumped in every corner was gone, the wrappers and garbage in the bins, and even the year old stains from the carpet… it was spotless. It actually looked like a good condo, belonging to Nathan Turner, the best lawyer in town. But for Nathan, it was the worst cause now he’d have to actually find what he’s looking for.

“You little… who told you to touch my stuff? Huh? Don’t fucking ever touch anything.” He got up and began searching for his files. “Dammit, the case papers were here! On this table… I need them.”

“There in the drawer; in alphabetical order. Cathy…” She searched through the fold C, and there it was, the papers for Cathy’s case. 

He snatched it out of her hand. “See how long that took? Like 5 seconds to find C, and then actually look for the word Cathy. No one has time for that. I like my stuff here. On the table, where I can grab and go.” He stuck his hand under the bed. “Where’s the pile of emergency shirts that are supposed to be here?”

“In the washing machine. Nathan they smell! You can’t keep piles of clothes under your bed for days without washing them! That’s gross.” Sophie made a disgusted face.

“I can do whatever I want. Now what do I wear? Nothing… all day… in front of you?” He took steps towards her, as she inched away. Then quickly grabbed her in the biggest bear hug on the planet. “Do you feel uncomfortable?” He squeezed her tight.