Chapter 43

Momma

Sophie fell face flat hard on the ice. So hard that her jaw began to bleed. The pain shot up and all she wanted to do was cry as she lay there, with one side of her cheek plastered to the cold frozen water.

From the sideway angle Sophie could see a pair of white boots racing towards her. It was so fast that Sophie was afraid that it would jump over her and keep running. But that's not what happened. Instead warm hands brought Sophie up to a sitting position.

"Dear are you okay? Oh my goodness you're bleeding like crazy." Then her mother picked her up in her arms and took her in the house. She sat Sophie down on the couch as she kneeled over.

At this point all the tears that Sophie had bottled inside of her burst and she cried. From her crying, baby Daniel broke out as well in his crib.

"Oh Sophie." Fiona brought the alcohol close to the cut which made Sophie shreak in pain. "You're glad it's just a cut. If anything happened to my Princess... I don't know what I'd do."

Sophie then ended her flow of tears only to start a chain of hiccups. Then immediately she flung her arms around her mother's neck. "If anything happened to me Mama... you would kiss it better, wouldn't you?"

Fiona nodded before she leaned to the side and gave her daughter one big kiss on her ouchy.

Sophie closed her eyes as she remembered the time when she would get hurt, which was quite often, and her mother would be there to make her feel better. Always. When she reopened them, she saw that she was by Fiona's bed, on a chair, still waiting.

Sophie didn't know what to do. It was her fault. The doctor had warned her about trying to force on memories. But she went on to the market anyways.

Instead Sophie did the one thing she knew how to do. She had learned from her mother and all the times when it was Sophie on the bed.

Sophie leaned over and gently kissed her mom's forehead. "Please wake up momma. I kissed all the pain better. Please..." Sophie rested her head against the bed.

That's when the local doctor came in. It had taken him around 30 minutes, and this was because of the distance he had to travel to get to this small village.

After checking Fiona's heartbeat, blood pressure, and other instrumental measurements, the doctor closed his box with his tool and wrote down something on the pad. Then after a moment he looked at the worried Sophie that hadn't left the scene even for a moment. "She's ok. We were able to get here just in time, not a moment too late."

Sophie stared blankly at the wall behind the doctor like a dead corpse.

"She needs rest, and the slightest bit of concern can damage her weak heart which has just gone through a minor stroke."

Sophie closed her eyes and slightly nodded to show her approval.

"She really should be admitted to a hospital, but if that's not something she wants... make sure she at least uses this wheelchair I'm leaving behind." With that the doctor waved his goodbyes and left some other advices for Sophie to use.

That afternoon Sophie stayed by her mother's bedside. Nathan made soup but Sophie wasnt in the mood to eat anything.

"Come on Sophie. You didn't eat anything. Like fuck, it's just soup." Nathan pleaded from the door.

Sophie didn't say anything. Instead she held on to her mom's numb hand. If it weren't for the breathing, Sophie would have been positive that her mom was gone.

A little while later Nathan brought the bowl of soup upstairs. "Don't make this awkward by having me feed you." He shoved the bowl in Sophie's face so she could hold it herself.