Chapter 27

Give Me A J

Sophie went home in tears, afraid and ashamed of what was now her reality. She stumbled to open her door, and in the midst of the night she left her bag in the corner of her room and broke down. The past 3 months was a blur to her.  She couldn’t even remember why she had even met Nathan to begin with. How she had ended up in his condo, spending weeks there. After she lost her job, she would wait hours for him to get back. And when he did, she couldn’t control her excitement. At the time she didn’t know why, but she knew now and she hated it. The events that occurred throughout the day was also a daze. The award, the dress, but she couldn’t forget the kiss. All night she lay in bed with her shoes still on thinking about how his hands felt against her skin and how his lips felt on hers. Over and over again she tried to forget, but she just couldn’t.

Sophie woke to being blinded by the sun shining through her curtains. She didn’t even realize when she had fallen asleep nor did she have a clue to why she was in her own bedroom. She rubbed her face and found that it was wet and sticky. As she came back to her senses of what had happened, there were no more tears left to cry just a pain in her chest and a determination to forget. Sophie knew that she couldn’t go on living her life like a miserable wreck… there are bigger problems that needed to be solved. She needed to get to New York and see her mom. That is what Sophie’s entire life at the momentwass about. There is absolutely no room for distractions such as love, therefore she needed a way to forget about Nathan fast.

So Sophie washed her face and tried to put a smile on. She tidied herself up and decided that it was time to start new. Find a job and find a new beginning. But she needed some help…

That’s why she found herself knocking at Jared’s door at 8:30 am on a Sunday. He was quick to answer the door as if he already awake.

“Sophie?” Jared peeked through the side and whispered before opening up completely. “What brings you here this morning?” He narrowed his eyes at her.

“Can you help me with something?” Sophie looked up at Jared, hopeful.

“Anything, just name it beautiful.” He slammed his door shut behind him. As he did that, she remembered Jared’s father whose voice could be heard from the back asking who it was. He never liked Sophie while she and Jared were dating. He always compared Sophie to Jared’s past girlfriends; popular, blond, beauties.

“Can you help me find a job? I’m desperate, I’ll take anything.”

“Hmm… I don’t know if you’d be up for the challenge of working at the farm. You’re not man enough for that.” Jared smiled.

“I’ll man up. Do you think they’d give it to me? You could make me sound well fit right?” Sophie pleaded.

“Sophie I could get you in like this.” He snapped his fingers. “But the problem is it’s only a summer job. Seasonal, nothing permanent.”

“If I work all summer, I’ll have enough money. There’s no need for a permanent job.”

“Enough money for what?” Jared was confused.