Chapter 30

Hallelujah 

Marie ran up to her son and embraced him in the tightest hug. “Are you okay? Is everything fine. Nathan, hunny, are you alright?”

“Mom, I’m fine.” Nathan smiled hugging his mother back.

“Then why are you here? Not that I’m not overjoyed…” Marie looked up at her boy.

“Do I need a reason to visit you guys? I just missed you.” Nathan shrugged, looking past his mother at his siblings.

“No. You’re welcome whenever you want; Marie it’s his home too.” Nathan’s father Steve was now beside his wife, and his voice rather stern.

“Dad…”

“Let him be. You guys come inside, you must be tired from the travel.” Marie stopped Nathan from reaching for his father. “Sophie dear?” Marie peeked behind Nathan and into the car. “Where’s Sophie?”

“You left her didn’t you?” Kaitlyn smiled mischievously.

“Kaitlyn, stop.” Leighton hushed her sister. “Nathan wouldn’t do such a thing.”

“Then where is she?” Kaitlyn backed up her point.

“Ya, I’m wondering the same thing now.” Derek narrowed his eyes at Nathan.

“She’s probably still in the car, right Nathan?” Leighton came over and looked him in the eyes. “Please tell me she’s here.”

“She’s not here.” Nathan blurted as he watched his mother’s eyes fall in disappointment. The eagerness in her voice was now gone.

“Why is she not here Nathan…” Marie’s voice still tender but quiet.

“Uh… mom, guys, this is going to sound a bit strange and upsetting-“

“Oh right I completely forgot… she’s at her aunts. Sophie called an hour ago and told me that she couldn’t come.” Leighton interrupted with a good enough excuse.

Nathan stared back at her in shock, but Leigh just shook her head in no. Not now.

The day went on and soon turned to night, and it seemed as if the entire house lit up with Nathan’s arrival. Madeline buzzed around Nathan’s ear asking how his married life was, which he didn’t have an answer for, and Kaitlyn tried to get her facts straight on where Sophie really was. Clarabelle came up repeatedly to her brother with various toys, and Mathew chased after a baseball that Nathan would catch and throw. Nathan loved every single one of his siblings, and he was so happy to be with them right then and there that nothing else really bothered him.

“Guys, I think it’s time for Nathan to take a break and all of you to go to bed.” Marie laughed at the excitement of having the entire family together.