Chapter 21

Lost and Found

“You’re fired!” Jilliana rolled her r’s as she said her words making sure they were clear.

“No, no, no. Please don’t do this to me. Not now. Jill you know how much I need to job.” Sophie begged with her hands clasped together.

“You come late, you don’t even come some days. You vere never like this. Vat happened? I don’t know.”

“I’m going through a lot right now. Please don’t take away my only job. Pleeeasseee.” Sophie followed Jilliana to the back of the kitchen where she wiped the counter with her damp cloth.

“Out. Right now. Before I call Billardavich.” She now had her hands on her hips, tapping one chubby foot impatiently. “Get out. I like you, so I say nicely.”

Sophie’s heart fell to the floor, and was crushed into a billion pieces. She now had nothing. What was she going to do? How was she going to make a living. “Ok…” She managed to say.

“And leave the apron.”

Sophie took the apron off, placing it on the counter.  Her pin, the one she’s been wearing for 5 years, was being taken away from her. And the only person she could blame was Nathan. Her mind raced towards his face, and all she could think about was taking it and throwing it at a wall. She was so mad. She took the pin off and without handing it to Jill she threw it to the other side of the kitchen. “There! Take your stupid pin!”

Leaving the other workers in shock she turned around and stormed out. And before leaving through the door she turned back at the customers and added, “the patties are rats. Enjoy!”

She was running towards the bus stop, with anger, frustration, and a whole lot of tears inches from pouring out like a broken dam. She ran, her hair swaying against the wind making it impossible to see. Repetitively having to move the hair out of her face drove her mad. Then someone grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her to a complete halt.

“Let go.” She tried to stay calm and collective even though the situation was too hard to handle. “Nathan. Let. Go.”

There was silence from the other end. But a tight grip was still held.

“Nathan!” Sophie turned around to come to face a man, much leaner and taller than she’d seen him before. She stared mindlessly at his face then without thinking fell into his arms. And the dam did break. “I missed you so much. Where were you? Where did you disappear to?”

“You know work is a pain in the ass. Trust me, I’m glad these trips are over and I’m back home. All that aside, how are you?” He replied.

“Not good. I’m a mess…literally.” Sophie lifted her face from him chest. “Sorry…”

“Don’t worry about the shirt. Just tell me what’s wrong…”

“Jared, I lost my job just now. Can life ever do me justice? I work too effin hard for this!”

“Hey hey, no tears. You’ll find another one, I believe in you. You’re the most hardworking, dedicated, and enthusiastic girl I know. If you don’t find another job in a week than my names not Jared anymore.” He held her hand closely observing and playing with her fingers. That is when he noticed what finger the ring was on. “Is this a wedding ring Sophie?”

“No, I mean yes…but I’m not married.” Sophie looked nervous as she tried to hide this part of her life story from him.

“Then it’s on the wrong finger?” He tried to remove the ring but Sophie quickly slid her hand and hid it behind her back.

“No I am married. But not like that. This is very temporary.” She managed to say.

“Temporary marriage? Are you ok… Sophie you don’t have to hide the fact that you couldn’t wait for me. I get it. 1 year is a long time.” Jared looked away.

“1 year is a very long time. You didn’t call or text. Not even a single letter. But that being said does not mean I got over you like that! And just got married? No. It might look like it, but it’s more complicated then it might seam!” Sophie reached for Jared’s arm as he began to turn.

“I really thought we had something. While you figure this complication of yours out, I’ll be at home. Call if you need me.” He began to walk towards his car.

“Jared no. I’m so alone. Don’t leave me now.” Sophie felt pathetic as she fell to her knees.

He turned around and surprising walked back towards her. “Get up.” He extended his hand and she used it to get up. “Always lure me back with your weaknesses. And that 1 year was already a pain being under bombs, and beside tanks, with absolutely no wifi… but it was the biggest pain being away from you. Now explain to me what this complication is so we can both figure it out together.” He wrapped his arm around her waist and walked her towards his car.