Chapter 38

New Hope

"Stay strong?! How do you expect me to stay strong when the only thing keeping me alive was her?! How am I supposed to stay strong when my strength doesn't remember me?!" Sophie pulled at the roots of her hair as she slowly slid to the ground.

Sophie felt defeated. She felt completely alone and lost. Who did she honestly have now? Her mother was her support in life... seeing her was supposed to bring back joy, not destroy her completely.

"Sophie, it's not the end. We're not saying that there is no cure to this. She CAN remember you and everything that happened, but for that we need some time." The doctor said politely as he bent down to face her.

"Doctor it's been 5 years. How much more time do you need?" Sophie shook her head and buried her face in her hands.

"Sophie it's crucial that she stays here until she's cured. There has been some brain damage. How long I'm not sure. We're doing some tests that show that she remembers a lot, yet she does not remember the passing of time or any changes."

"Can I go back in there?" Sophie looked up in teary eyes.

"Of course, but remember to stay strong. Address her by her name rather than mother or mom. It will stop her from getting confused which could damage her brain further." The doctor nodded before getting up. "Good luck."

Sophie slowly brought herself to her feet. Holding the wall to keep her from falling from dizziness she went back into the room.

"What's wrong? Why do you cry?" Fiona asked.

Sophie quickly wiped her eyes. "Happiness." Sophie's lips trembled.

"No it's not." Fiona shook her head. "Come here." She opened up her arms.

Sophie ran in and hugged her mom, burying her face in her blue gown.

"There you go. Let it out." Fiona stroked Sophie's hair. "If you want to talk, you can."

Sophie parted from the hug and sat on the corner of the bed. "I wish I could tell you everything."

"I know it's tough opening up to a stranger, but if you ever need to I'll listen."

"I know you would. Your an amazing listener. You listen to everyone's problems, and you always have the perfect things to say mo-" Sophie stopped herself.

"Those are too kind words." Fiona laughed. "But is there anything I can do for you hunny?"

"One thing. Promise you will do it?"

"Yes, just ask."

"Please let me do something for you. Is there something you want, something you need?"

"My kids." Fiona shrugged. "But I know they are coming... so nothing else."

"Even if it's small, can I get you anything? I know you like green tea for breakfast, or walks in the forest behind our, I mean your house. Can I take you out somewhere, or request a change in your meal plan?"

"You're right, I do love those thing." Fiona smiled. "Well there is one thing I would like and I'd be impressed if you could do it."

"Anything, please."

"I want to go home. To my little house by the forest and the river. To my green tea in the morning." Fiona held Sophie's hand. "This place is suffocating. It's like everyday it reminds me I'm sick even though I don't feel anything. I rather die at home than die everyday waiting for my kids to take me home."

Sophie looked at her mom. "If anything, I'm going to make that happen. Like I'm your daughter taking you away."

That same day, Sophie ran around the entire hospital looking for Dr.Kahn. He was a busy man with different patients to take care of, but it was 3 hours later when she was finally successful in finding him.