Chapter 32

Stronger 

"Iced tea for you ma'am." Jared placed the cold drink on the ground beside Sophie where she lay on a sheet with her shades on.

"Thanks sweetie." Sophie smiled with her eyes still closed.

"Hold on... did you just sweet talk me?"

Sophie burst out laughing. She then slightly got up and leaned on her elbows. "Yes hunny. I think were on that stage in our relationship now." Sophie took a sip from her drink. 

Jared stared at Sophie puzzled. "We're only on THAT stage?" 

Sophie giggled. "It's a pretty good stage ok. What stage do you want to be in?" 

Jared rolled down beside Sophie and prompted his head up so he was leaning on his side. "This stage..." Jared leaned in and gave Sophie a kiss on the cheek, then the chin, then slowly on the lips. 

Sophie cringed at the sudden touch. Sophie closed her eyes to feel something, anything, but there was nothing but discomfort.

Jared could feel Sophie's body tense up. "What's wrong?" 

"Nothing.” Sophie smiled.

Jared removed a strand of Sophie’s hair that was out place. “You probably don’t understand how glad I am that we’re back together.”

“How much is that?”

“So much that I can run across this beach and scream…” Jared got up on his feet and spread his arms wide open. “SOPHIE I LOV-“

“shhh” Sophie was now on her knees pulling Jared down. “People are watching.”

“Exactly, and it doesn’t bother me at all.” Jared lifted Sophie to a standing position and put his arms around her and rocked back and forth. “Let them know that I love you.”

“... lets just go back to the tent." Sophie abruptly replied looking around herself.

"Does this embarrass you?" Jared frowned. 

“No it’s not that. I… love you too.”

“That doesn’t convince me.” Jared raised an eyebrow.

“Let’s go, and I’ll prove it to you.” Sophie kissed his cheek then left his grip. She began to pack up.

"Oh, okay babygirl." Jared laughed out loud then began putting his sandals on.

Babygirl? Sophie thought. She then rolled up the sheet and lifted the beach umbrella. She grabbed her beach bag as well. There was barely any more room to carry her drink and when she managed to pick it up, it spilt all over her. She was wet.

"Crap you should have told me to hold some of this stuff." Jared took the umbrella and placed it on the floor. 

Sophie was confused. She was supposed to ask? She let it go... Jared was always a little oblivious.

Jared then took Sophie’s towel out of her bag and wrapped it around her. “You are such a clutz.”

Sophie shook her head. “You’re an ass. What are you, the king of the world? Walk away empty handed…” Sophie was gonna continue when she remembered what she was doing. She was ranting. Ranting like she always did with Nathan. “I mean…”

“No it’s true. I’m sorry.” Jared sighed. “You know me. So, so  stupid.”

“Oh my goodness Jared. I didn’t mean it like that. Now you’re making me feel guilty.” Sophie crossed her arms across her chest.