Chapter 44

Sweet Dreams

It was around 10:00 at night. Fiona resisted to go upstairs and end the card game of President. She claimed she was winning. Sophie looked at her mom, knowing that it was getting way too late for her to be still up.

This entire situation was silly to Sophie. She remembered having a bed time and her mother always pushing her to follow it, but now it was the other way around. Sophie was the one who needed to get her mom to take her medication and go to bed. People really do become a child once they aged, and Fiona became that child way too early in her life. Barely 45, and as fragile as a baby.

Finally Fiona gave in and Sophie managed to take her upstairs. In order to make her feel better, Nathan and Sophie both admitted to losing.

After Fiona had fallen asleep out of exhaustion, Sophie slowly came back down the steps to find Nathan cleaning up the table where the cards had been. "Hey." Sophie smiled before straightening the table cloth and pushing the chairs in. "Guess it's time..."

"Yeah." Nathan straightened up and brushed his hands through his hair. He took a couple of steps towards Sophie.

"You've really grown on my mom. She loves you and your company." Sophie leaned against the table.

Nathan gave a sideways grin. "And what about you?"

"I hate to admit it... but I'll miss you." Sophie nodded before walking over to the sink to wash out the remaining dishes. She turned the sink on.

Nathan came over and turned the sink off. Then he forced Sophie to turn around with a soapy plate in her hands. "Come with me then. Both of you. There's enough room for all of us." Nathan looked at Sophie.

"You know I can't. I have responsibilities here. This is where I need to be with my mom." Sophie turned back around.

Nathan took Sophie's shoulder and turned her back around to face him. "But come on. She'll be okay there. We can both watch over her. The doctor's great in the city too! And I told you... It worries me leaving both of you here. I need to see you to make sure you're okay."

"Since when did you start getting all sentimental?" Sophie put soap on Nathan's cheek teasingly.

"Stop it. I'm serious." Nathan went over to the sink and washed it annoyed.

"I'm sorry." Sophie tried hard not to laugh at his expression. She waited until Nathan was finished washing so that she could wash out her hands. "But Nathan you know how I feel about this... about us." Sophie wiped her hands on the kitchen hand towel.

"What about us? Why can't you give us a real chance. Come with me back to my place." Nathan could feel himself getting desperate.

Sophie could see Nathan getting tense. "Nathan do you hear yourself? The guy that wanted me out of his life like 6 months ago..." Sophie laughed.

"HA HA." Nathan said sarcastically. "Stop laughing. Believe me Sophie. I'm different now. The 6 months away from you helped me realize what I was fucking missing."

Sophie's heart skipped a beat. "But you have to understand that it's so hard for me to just... give in." Sophie moved around Nathan and into the living room in order to avoid eye contact.

Nathan followed after her. "But why? Look at me... I will never hurt you."

Sophie wrapped her arms tightly around herself as she stood straight up and looked at him. "Nathan that's the problem. I don't know what's real and fake anymore... are you lying? Are you making this up? Will you really not hurt me?" Sophie tried to hold her gaurd in order not to break down. This was the hardest thing to say to the one she cared so much about. "Before I thought what was between us, what was meant to be pretend, to be my reality... I was beginning to make something completely fake into something actually real. I fell for you, with your stupid arrogance and ego and stupid... you. But that was me dreaming, thinking you might actually want me too. But you never did because you thought I was just some girl. Your fake fiancee. How can I believe this isn't fake too? You tell me."