Jealousy is the Cousin of Greed

Ryan's P.O.V

    "I trusted you!" My heart hangs heavily in my chest, making it difficult for me to breathe as I think of what Brendon has done. How could he betray me like that? Why don't I know why I'm mad? The thoughts in my head spin around quickly, making it hard for me to make any sense of them. Emotions swell and ebb in my chest, causing my tears to come faster even though I will them not to.

The air around me stays still, waiting for someone to break the awkward silence that my words have caused, but that is not my job. Brendon stands across from me, a look of confusion plastered on his face. The sight of him makes my stomach growl in protest and bile start to rise in my chest. 

    "What do you mean Ryan? What have I done?" I can't help but to let out a heavy scoff. He's acting like he has no idea why im mad, but he does, I know he does. How can he just stand there with that stupid face and pretend he is oblivious while my word is crumbling down around me?

    "Just-" Brendon reaches out and gently grabs my wrist, causing my heart beat to speed up. More tears blur my eyes as I pull my wrist from his grip, disgusted at his touch. The hurt shows on his face at my actions, but I couldn't care less, he deserves it. By now, students have heard the commotion outside of their classrooms and are starting to pile out and surround Brendon and I.

    Many eyes look on with curiosity at the two of us fighting in the middle of the hallway. No matter where I am, they follow me, always follow me. A few laugh as they see the tears on my face, but mostly the crowd stays silent, waiting to see what happens next.

    "Just leave me alone!"As I yell the words angrily, the world blurs around me and I can no longer feel anything, I've gone numb. Before I can see the look on Brendon's face, I turn and run down the hall., pushing through anyone that is in my way. Every few seconds, my sleeve is messily slid across my face to wipe the hot tears off my face as I run down the main hall.

    When I reach the doors, I slam through them without another thought, I need to get out of this place, right now. The cold air hits my face instantly and makes me stop for a second. As of right now, I have no plan, not even a single thought. I just know I need to get out of here, now. 

    Without looking back at the school, I set off running down the sidewalk. More tears fall as the only sound I hear is my own footsteps. The cool fall air rips through my thin sweatshirt and chills me to the bone, but I couldn't care less. My body is already numb, so the feeling doesn't really affect me like it should.

    The world blurs around me as I run. I can't tell you how many buildings I pass, how many cars, I couldn't even tell you where I am. My body is just set into autopilot and my feet are following. My brain takes no notice or care as to where I am going, but maybe that's for the best. If I was thinking, I would have turned right back around and gone back to lunch.

    Soon, I have to stop running because my breathing has become too heavy. Steam comes from my mouth as I breathe heavily and hold the stitch in my side. Slowly, the world around me comes into view and I see for the first time where I am. Trees stretch around me in every direction and cut out the sun.

    Only a few streaks of sunlight make it through to the ground in the forest, illuminating the many different shades of green, orange, and red leaves. The view of all the trees is absolutely amazing and it would take my breath away, if I had any.

    Grabbing ahold of the nearest tree, I slowly lower myself onto the bed of wet leaves on the ground. Every breath I take hurts the stitch in my side, but soon that is gone, and a feeling of peace washes over me. No sounds can be heard except those of nature and within a couple of seconds, I find myself totally relaxed.