Fearful Eyes and Painted Dreams

Brendon's P.O.V
    "Brendon!! Phone!" My mom calls up the stairs. I sigh and pause the video game I had started after Ryan left.
    I pick up the line in my room and say hello. The voice on the other end is one I don't recognize. He takes a few moments to really get to the point, but once he does I'm glad I picked up the phone.
    I drop the phone on the ground without hanging up and hurriedly grab my keys. Throwing a jumper over my head, I run down the stairs, startling my mother.
    "Brendon? Who was it?" She stands with her realtor book in hand. She must have just gotten back from one of her showings.
     "No time to talk, I'll tell you when I get back!" I kiss her cheek and exit the house, jumping into my car. The music that blasts through the stereo makes me smile even more.
    I forgot I put in my demo cd for Ryan to listen to before I dropped him off. I sing along to my own voice as I speed of the Pete's house. He is going to freak.
    It only takes me about ten minutes to get to his house. As soon as I park the car, I jump out and practically run to the front door. My knuckles hurt as I rap on the door harshly.
    "What?" A very annoyed Pete opens the door and glares at me. It doesn't faze me in the least and I push past him into his house.
    He closes the door beside me and leads me to his living room, sitting us both down on the couch.
    "What has you all hyper?" His eyes fill with worry as he looks at me, but a huge smile spreads over my face.
    "You know how I mailed Panic's demo into the record company, right?" He nods and I continue. "They listened to it and said they LOVE IT." My smile is so big it hurts my face.
    He looks shocked for a minute but regains his composure and smiles along with me.
    Pete offered a couple of months ago to be our stand in guitar player until we found a permanent one. All the songs on the cd were played with Pete.
    "But wait, who are you going to get to play guitar. Fall out boy is really starting to work for me." I sigh. I hadn't thought of that in the midst of my excitement. It was hard enough getting Pete to do it.
    An idea pops into my head but I shoot it down almost immediately. He would never agree to do it. Just as quickly as my excitement came, it leaves.
    "Dangit." Pete chuckles at me and pats my back, telling me he is sorry.
Well, since I came all the way here, I may as well get something accomplished.
    "Hey, did you do the algebra homework?" I ask and Pete nods, pulling me up to his room.
                          ###
    I yawn and roll over in my bed. The clock blinks 10:30. Oh how I love saturdays.
    Pete and I stayed up until 3 just doing homework and playing games. My mom flipped since I wasn't home so I came back at around 4.
    My phone buzzes violently against my nightstand, demanding my attention. I angrily grab it and wince at its bright light.
    Ryan is calling me so I pick up as soon as I can read his name.
    "Hey babe." He tries saying hey back but starts coughing violently.
    "Are you ok?" I sit up in my bed, my heart beating a little faster.
He croaks a yes through the line and tells me sorry.
    "I can't go on the date. I-I'm not feeling very well." My heart drops as he starts coughing again. Though I want to protest and tell him to come anyway, I hold myself back.
    "It's ok. We will go another time, feel better babe." He tells me sorry again and hangs up the phone.
     Dread sets in as I think of the beautiful evening I had planned now ruined. Most of all, dread sets in for the time I wont be able to spend with Ryan.
    He did sound really sick through the phone. Maybe I should help him some. A smile spreads across my face as I grab my car keys and crutches.      Thank goodness its only a couple more weeks till my next doctor's visit.
    I say goodbye to my mother and drive to Ryan's. An erie feeling befalls me as I get out of the car and stand on the curb in front of Ryan's house.
    In my hurry to find Ryan, I hadn't noticed the state of the house. From the few words Ryan has spoken of his mother, it makes sense though.
    The shutters hang crookedly on their hinges, moss covering the wood siding.
    I swallow my aprehension and go on towards the house and knock on the door.
   Only a few slow heartbeats go by before Ryan's mom answers the door. She looks just as I remember her. She even has a drink hand.
     "Um. Is Ryan here?" I speak past the lump of fear in my throat.
    Without any protest, she nods her head and admits me to the house.       
Unlike last time, her house is spotless on the inside.
    "Who are you?" She asks with confusion and mild curiosity.
    "I'm Ryan's friend." Im smart enough to not mention the fact that we are actually dating. That would not go over well for Ryan.
    She nods and waves me off, sitting back in her spot on the couch.
    I don't know where Ryan's room is so I cautiously walk down the hall. The first door is open but there is only a mess inside.
    The next door is closed so I knock. A whisper greets me followed by a string of horrible coughs. Ryan must really be sick.
    Without answering him, I open the door slowly. On his bed, he pushes back quickly, breaking my heart.
    Across his bare chest is a brilliant purple and yellow bruise. It can't be more than a few days old.
    Once Ryan realizes it's only me, he relaxes and pulls the covers over himself once again.
    "Brendon? I told you, I don't feel well." He scoots over in his bed anyway, making room for me next to him.
    I gladly take it and slide in under the covers and rest my hands on his bruised stomach.
    "You sounded so sick, I figured you would need someone to take care of you." I smile at him and kiss his cheek lightly.
    His skin is burning up.
    "Are you okay Ryan? What's your illness?" I sit on my elbow, pulling the sweaty hair off his brow and resting it by his ear.
    "Probably just the flu, no big deal." He feigns a smile, but I can tell it's fake and it breaks my heart.
    I kiss his brow and lace my fingers through his, placing them on my cold stomach. Even his hands are burning up as they contact my cold skin.
    Beside me, his breathing has steadied and a quick check confirms that he has fallen asleep. His chest rises and falls shallowly, worrying me.
    I gently pull his body close to mine and close my eyes as well. His body heats mine as we lay intertwined in his bed.
                              ###
    "I'm making you soup and that is final. Do you want tomato or Chicken noodle?" Ryan and I sit in his kitchen, playfully arguing.
    His mother had left for work a couple of hours ago so we moved out into the living room to watch some tv.
    "Brendon, seriously I'm fine." He sighs as I stand from my spot beside him on the couch.
    "Chicken it is." I smile as he groans. His kitchen is a mess, but I finally find a pot and a can of soup. I open the soup and add some water, bringing it to a boil.
    Chicken noodle soup actually doesn't sound too bad as of right now.  As soon as the fire is lit, I go back and sit with Ryan, pulling myself back under the blanket.
    The front door creaks open and Ryan visibly tenses. His mother walks through the door, her hair a disheveled mess and the smell of smoke surrounding her.
    Despite her small size, she is a terrifying woman.
    As soon as she sees us on the couch together, her eyes narrow in anger.
    "What do you think you are doing?" There is no voice of alcohol in hers, only righteous anger. In a way it would make it better of she were drunk.
    Ryan goes to make some excuse but I cut him off.
    "Im taking care of him." I stand between him and his mother, trying to protect him at all costs.
    She looks past me to Ryan and laughs, cackles really.
    "So you're gay now? Great. Just what I need a GAY retarted son." Anger courses through my veins at her words.
    "And what if I am gay?" Wrong thing of him to say. She throws her purse down and advances towards us.
    "You little shite!"
    Before she can reach Ryan, I jump in front of her, standing in her way.
    "No. Enough of this, hit me."