Thin Ice

Chapter 6: Thin Ice

(Caspian's POV) 

I walked into the cold office, where my brothers, sister and dad where sitting. There was a long table with papers on each seat and a video monitor at the end of the table. Riley was in the next room with her Step mom, real mom,sister and Jasmine. She had to handle her affairs with her father just like I had to with my mother. I couldn't help but worry how she was going to handle this and if anyone was going to be strong enough to be there for her. 

The reader of the will walked in the office and told us to all be seated, I sat right next to my father and put my hand on his shoulder and said "It's okay if you don't want to hear this." My father waved his hand and said "I am fine son, I am concerned about all of you." Nadia wiped her face as tears started to flood her eye gates, I reached my hand out to her and said "We will get through this okay? If it gets to much just go outside and take a breather."  Nadia nodded her head and I looked at the woman to start the process. 

The older brunette woman stood up with a brief case and said "I am Leslie, I am the one your mother appointed to handle your affairs if this day ever came and I truly am sorry it came so soon. Your mother a month ago made changes to her will, she even provided a video for you all to watch. I suggested to her that she should make a goodbye video just case she would ever pass and she did. We will first watch the video then I will begin to read her will off." We all nodded our heads a sign that we were ready, she dimmed the lights and pressed play. 

The screen popped up and it was her, it was the woman who betrayed me and the woman who died in my arms. The video started to play and she said "Hello family, if you are watching this well it means I have passed on. Wow that's a really hard thing to say while your still alive, but anyways this will be my last words to you. Let me start with this, I know I am difficult and I expect a lot from you guys and I do things my way. I also know I haven't been the best mother, but I hope before I left this earth I had time to make things right and if I haven't this video will do that. Allan I have watched you live a life full of pleasing others but never yourself, take this freedom and run with it. Enjoy your life because well it's short. You are still young, you should be taking adventures and now that the kids are grown quit being such a parent." 

She laughed and continued "Now to my oldest son, I see you being just like your father and I had a big part to play in that. I wasn't the best mom I could be with you, I forced you into a life you didn't want and I made you be something you are not but I hope eventually you get it right and be your own person. Love who you want, feel what you want just do what you want to do. Nothing more or nothing less, my biggest regret would be not allowing you to be free and trust in who you are and for that I am deeply sorry. Now on to my Nadia, my baby girl you are so strong and lighthearted stay that way and if you think I don't know about you and Alex you are so wrong Missy. Now the twins you two are spoiled little brats and that's going to change pretty soon, you need to learn hard work and once you do that you two will be amazing young men. I love you all and I miss you just as much as you miss me, goodbye." 

My mother kissed the screen before cutting the video off, everyone in the room had tears forming in their eyes including me. She meant it and she was sorry, and I had to forgive her. She was my mother regardless. Leslie turned the lights back on and said "It's time to read the will. Shall I begin?"  My father nodded his head yes and she continued "To Allan I leave you with freedom, the freedom to actually be in a relationship with someone you love." My father laughed and smiled, Leslie looked over and continued "To Nadia I give you all my jewelry and my position in the charity board. The twins I believe it is time you two stop getting everything handed to you, with the update of the will you two will not receive anything for two years. I would hope by then you two would have a new found perspective about life and about working hard for what you earn. For these two years you will receive no funding from your father or me, you will have to move out of the house, find your own place, get a job and live life as an average person. If your father see's growth in the first year he can choose to unfreeze your assets." The twins jumped up from their seats and Anthony yelled "What the hell? How is this fair?"