The Coldest Winter

Chapter 18: The Coldest Winter

It was the coldest of winters, the darkest of days, and in December the numbing feeling never went away. Her heart stone cold, filled with bitterness her because her light grew dim when her love left. The rain came pouring down like the tears from her eyes, and that's when she knew her love didn't survive.. She wore a mask hiding it all, not showing what was haunting her soul. Her hope ran dry, and her tears eventually stopped falling because she knew she would go through this empty world alone. No one would compare to the one she called her own, she tried and tried to get over that love but it was far to epic for her to erase so instead she fixed her memories on their last embrace....

Because it was the coldest of winters, the darkest of days, and in December the numbing feeling never went away because she lost the one who kept her alive, what a brutal feeling he left with her, leaving her to survive.....

9 months later

(Riley's POV)

Today is the day, today we bring her to justice. It's been a long chase of hit and misses, she's put up a good tormenting fight but today will be the day I win. For the past nine months I have spent my entire time working with Lindsey closely on the investigation I think I've found my new drive, she says she can easily get me a job here because of her pull and I am considering taking her up on that offer. I was good at this game, this game of checkers. Jaceyln made a move and made one two, surprisingly she hasn't caught on that I am working with the police. Instead she sends me morbid letters, and hints that she's coming after me. She was playing a mental game but I just entertained her, I would act like she was driving me crazy meanwhile we were making a plan to bring her out of hiding and directly to me.

I haven't spoken to Caspian since he left my apartment, haven't even seen him. Jasmine made sure that we would no longer have any connections to him or his family, Jasmine took a job for Owen's family company. She doesn't get into much detail about her new job or her relationship with Owen. I've dived into my work and have ignored all feelings regarding the break up, oh and Hayden is doing well. He goes to rehab to keep his body and brain refreshed, he's been a good support system for us but to be honest I have a wall up now that nobody can break.

***

I walked in the house and saw Jasmine waiting for me, she looked anxious like she was waiting for any news. I walked over to her and said "The meeting is going down in 20 minutes, I have to get ready." She nodded her head and kept herself wrapped in her warm blankets. I walked to my room and looked in the mirror, I looked at myself at I knew I was different. My face had it's woman features now more than before, my hair was longer now reaching the bottom of my bra strap. I through my straight hair in a bun, I changed my top and put my bulletproof vest on with my leather jacket and black tight pants. I put on my Nike rosche's and put a scarf and gloves on. I sighed in the mirror and said to myself "Today is the day, Riley. Today is the day."

I looked at my ice brown eyes one last time and grabbed my keys, phone and temporary badge. I walked out of my bedroom and Jasmine's eyes widen, she looked at me up and down and said "Riley what if this doesn't end right?" She walked over to me and held my hand, I looked down at it and said "Nothing will be worse than what's already happened. I need this and I am ready." I pulled my hand away and walked out of the apartment, to find Hayden standing by the door. He looked at me up and down and said "You look like a cop." I smirked and blankly said "For a night I am one. Got a problem with that?" I flashed him my badge and he put his hands up in sign of surrender, I rolled my eyes and walked away waving goodbye at Hayden. For this to possibly be my last day alive, It didn't feel like it. I was scared or anxious, I wasn't excited. I wanted it to all be over, I wanted to not feel anymore and only one of two was going to happen.