Chapter 1: A Dramatic Breakup

hello there! This is my first story on wattpad, and if you have any suggestions or tips, anything really just comment. Thanks for reading! My first few chapters will be longer as I go along because I want to get some stuff out there but as I go along they'll get shorter. Just how I go. :)
Love,
Chekoli

________

I sat on my couch, head pounding and eyes red and blotchy. My throat was raw from screaming. I heard the door slam from a few rooms away, sucking in another depressed sob. I swallowed the huge lump in my throat, rubbing my eyes. After a year...and it was just over? I could barely believe it. Let me recap for you.

That was Rob. My now ex-boyfriend. He had just slammed the door to my house leaving even though he promised he wouldn't. He told me he would stay, but just like the other promises he told me, they were fake and would never last. All of his promises were just...fake. I sucked in shakily, on the brink of hysteria. I can't stand people lying to me. We had gotten together almost a year ago. Our first year anniversary was barely a month away. I found him cheating on me with my 'friend'.

They were drunk. Actually, he was drunk, she wasn't. Another lie in my life. Anyways, that happened a week ago. I haven't been able to talk to him. He came here, trying to apologize but I didn't accept. I couldn't. He had lied, everything we built our relationship on was crushed within a heartbeat. No more trust, kindness, care, respect. All gone, as though a cold win had swept through my life and taken what I held dear.

I sighed as the memories flew through my head, leaning back against the couch. I couldn't stand to think about it anymore. I pulled out my phone from my back pocket and quickly typed in the names of my two best friends, Jess and Angie, just saying "Be here in five, big news to tell you."

After a few minutes of waiting, I finally got my responses. they both agreed. I pulled my elbow length hair up into a bun, not caring how I looked right now. I crossed my arms over my chest and stared at the mirror on the opposite wall for a few moments. What I saw staring back didn't help.

I have auburn hair, mostly brown but I do have reddish natural highlights. I have my mother's green eyes. I know that sounds like Harry Potter but I'm serious, and that's the only feature I really appreciate about myself. I'm not big, but I'm definitely not skinny either. I have light pink lips. and I guess that's it, really. I'm not perfect. Right now I had my glasses on, which isn't uncommon, but I do wear glasses sometimes.

I spent another small chunk of my time harshly critiquing my appearance until I heard a knock on the door. Turning around, I made my way over and pulled open the door, immediately regretting it because of the tackle/hug I suddenly received which was accompanied by happy squeals of "ALI! WE MISSED YOU!"

After managing to pry their hands off of me, they dragged me over to the couch.

Angie was Hispanic, tall, tan, and basically a model. People wonder why I'm insecure. She didn't care though. She would fit right in with those skimpy popular bitches but she chooses us. That little doll. I love her to pieces, and her only fault is that she isn't the sharpest pencil in the box if you know what I mean. She's street smart, but not book smart.

Jess is kind of the opposite. She is sweeter and softer and much more solemn. Sensitive. She's really intelligent. and I mean Harvard intelligent. She wants to be a lawyer and she could totally succeed as one. She is pretty, but in a different way. Like, subdued. Inner and outer beauty. Even though she's subdued, she's absolutely insane around her friends. Random and funny. I'm a sarcastic funny. She's a random hilarious.

Anyways, I explained the whole situation with them and they were all for my side and immediately defending me, declaring hatred and revenge on his soul. So sweet.

"You should have called, sweetie!" Angie scolded.

I blushed lightly. "I didn't call because I didn't really want to talk."

Jess wiped a quick tear from her eye, completely faking. "Wow. I get it. Thought we meant more to you!" and gave a dramatic gasp. I still didn't understand why joining theatre was impossible for her. I guess she was just too shy for that.

I rolled my eyes as Angie played along, nodding sadly. "You know what I mean." they both laughed. I knew they were trying to cheer me up. But it was harder than just jokes. Angie pulled out her phone as "Live While Were Young" started blasting, quickly opening the text to read it.

Her dark brown eyes looked up worryingly at me. I felt my heart clench up. "What Angie." I demanded quietly, and underlying tone of authority clear in my voice.

She bit her lip. "Well...Rob's birthday is tomorrow...and his party is too..." the pause in her voice made it clear she felt awkward.

I felt my heart drop to somewhere around my stomach. "Sure." I murmured. "Of course you can go."

Angie looked over at Jessica. They silently exchanged something. I really hated when they did that. Jessica took a deep breath.

"You should come-"

"No." I said flatly. I probably should have expected it, but I can honestly say that surprised me, and things rarely surprise me.

"Babe, listen!" Jess pleaded, and I closed my already open mouth grudgingly. She's smiled weakly. "Don't you wanna have fun! We could have a girl's night out!"

I opened my mouth to retort before Angie quickly jumped on the bandwagon and cut me off.

"Yea! Don't you wanna show Rob that you don't need him?"

Damn. She knew me so well.

I bit my lip. I hadn't gone out in a week. I had been miserable for seven whole days, and way too many before that, all because of Rob. Well I was going to show him that I didn't need him. I was a strong, independent woman. I didn't need anyone!

Judging by the hopeful looks on the both of their faces, I was guessing that they both saw the cogs in my head turning. I sighed in defeat. "Fine..." I knew they wanted to go because, to be frank, Rob was rich. It would be a high class party. Meaning high class drinks, high class dancing, and (most importantly) high class gentlemen. They both squealed in excitement again, hugging me. I laughing, catching the both of them.

As they pulled away from me, Jess looked at me pleadingly and asked "Can we have a cheesy sleepover?"

We quickly grabbed all of our nail polish. We always kept it at my house because we always had these crazy sleepovers here. We quickly went to painting all of our toes, no real rhyme or reason. Just random colors on each toe.

We just talked about everything. Anything under the sun. Nothing was too odd or weird. I loved nights like this. Just me and my girls. After our toes, we all agreed on being to lazy to do hands.

We all curled under one blanket. I made 3 cups of hot chocolate because it was a tradition, and a huge bowl of popcorn. We all sat down, watching movies from Netflix all night. No movie was questionable. We watched old classics, chic flicks, scary movies, comedies. We eventually fell asleep, curled up in each others arms. I have no idea when we fell asleep, it just gradually happened. I don't remember any dreams that night. Rob wasn't there. Just a nice. relaxing, peaceful sleep. I haven't had one in forever, so it really was a blessing.