Chapter 14: Inspection

Alright, this chapter will be better. Promise.

__________

I had excused Angelina and myself to calm down Jessica, who was hyperventilating and turning sort of blue.

The fangirl life must be a hard one.

After a few minutes of telling her meaningless things, she had agreed and taken the backseat of Nicholas'a car. She wouldn't say a word.

Nicholas had asked then polite questions, the usual niceties, and they responded with the same politeness, though I knew exactly what they were doing. They were trying to find a crack in his facade, something that would make him untrustworthy.

They weren't having much luck.

These two girls (meaning Angie and Jess) had asked a bunch of questions until they had reached the topic of me.

I felt really awkward, to say the least. They asked him everything they could think of. What our children would look like, which flowers would he buy me, how would he treat me when I was being a stubborn asshole (because that wasn't uncommon), how much did he really care about me. Mushy stuff that made me feel all mushy inside. Gross.

We approached a little cafe and he pulled into the parking lot, though not many cars were occupying the spaces. Maybe it wasn't well known. I doubted Nicholas would bring me to a run down place, though that's exactly what it looked like. He opened the door for everyone, always the gentleman, and asked the hostess for a table for four. As we settled into the table, Nicholas and I on one side when my two friends were on the other, he started telling us about the quant restaurant.

Apparently a mother and father owned it centuries ago, and the business has been passed down throughout the ages. They keep the meals and the recipes, and everything is delicious. Nicholas knows from personal experience because he has sampled everything in the restaurant, at least in the menu. There are secret meals hidden throughout the room, under chairs, on walls, behind things, etc.

And damn, I have never had a better meal in my life.

I suppose food doesn't matter, but I decided to have French toast. Why? Because I was craving it. And because I'm an adult and I can do whatever I want.

We finished our meals, and I sort if stayed silent while my two friends grilled Nicholas, not holding any reservations. They never stopped asking questions, even after he paid the bill. They even asked him if he was good in bed, and I responded for him.

"That is for me to know and for you to never find out. Now let's leave because my butt is falling asleep."

I stood up and stomped out to the car, a bit flustered. Nicholas seemed fine with it. It must be British people. It maybe just men. Or maybe just him. I didn't know.

I didn't wait for Nicholas to open my door, but I jumped in by myself. I wasn't mad at Nicholas, really. I was mad that my date with Nicholas was replaced by Angelina and Jessica interrogating him. I would be lucky if I ever got a call back from him now. I sighed, crossing my arms in front of my chest, hearing the doors open and slam shut again, Jess's laughter filling the car. I was about to start yelling at them, thank goodness Nicholas was in the car. Without him I'm pretty sure I wouldn't jumped them. Nicholas started the car and backed out, looking to me for a brief moment.

"You okay?" he asked me, eyes warm and concerned.

I shook my head, pouting slightly. "No. Let's just go home."

He must have understood, so his eyes returned to the road, falling silent. "Angelina, where do you live?"

Angie turned. "Uh...why?"

"Alexandria told me that she left a pair of shoes there, and I figured I'd do her the favor and drive her there now." he said smoothly.

I looked at him, confused. As far as I knew, my shoes were at my house. I had many pairs, but I kept track of them.

"Okay, I guess. Just make the turn up here, we're not very far." For the next few minutes the car was silent except for Angie's occasional directions. I felt awkward seep in, but I wanted to stay quiet. So they could suffer in the awkward.

We pulled into Angelina's driveway, and Nicholas stopped. Angelina hopped out of the car, saying "I'll get them!" and began hopping to her front door , then Jessica jumped out, saying "Gotta peeeeeeee!"

I rolled my eyes. They were so weird, yet I loved them. I sighed, feeling the car suddenly in motion and I looked at Nicholas, bewildered, to see him with a sweet smirk on his face.

"What are you doing?" I asked, looking back and seeing Angie with a smile on her face, waving.

"Nicholas!" I asked, wanting some sort of answer.

"Shh...they know we're leaving." He pulled down the street and made another turn, somewhere I didn't know. He kept taking turn until he stopped near the beach, which was completely deserted except for a few families far off to the right.

"What are you planning?" I asked, a huge smile on my face.

Nicholas shrugged. "I treasure the unplanned times with the people you love." is all he said, and he rushed around to open the door for me. He leaned down before I could step out to kiss me, and I smiled. He then backed away to let me out, and took my hand to lead me down to the sand.