Chapter 3: Meeting Him

I pulled the door open, allowing my two friends to lead the way inside. I closed the door, smiling as the bouncer checked our names off a list.

I followed the two giggling girls to a table near the back, the lights avoiding is mostly, almost as of they knew I didn't want to be seen. A talk waiter came over, Angie quickly working up a flirt storm, which the water happily received. He was cute, I'll admit, but something about him just put me off.

That's another thing that drives me crazy: when people 'arent your type'. Nobody has a 'type' and if you're really that stereotypical then you need to fix your priorities. I understand that if someone doesn't work with you, but you should get to know someone before you assume something about them. Yes, first impressions are important, but the times after are even more important.

The waiter came back, carrying her drinks. Not wanting to slide anywhere near tipsy, I ordered a drink I always ordered when I was younger, a Shirly Temple. I casually poked at the cherries sitting at the bottom of my glass, ignoring my friend's mindless chatter. I stretched my back, hearing it click a few times down my spine.

Angie looked behind me and quickly said "Rob is coming. Stay or go."

"Stay," I quietly commanded, and waited for him to arrive.

Rob came over just as I finished my drink, with a glass of champagne in his hand. He put it on the table and I stared at it.

"Hey, Alex..."

I couldn't make myself look up. "Hi, Rob."

He, however, couldn't stop looking at me. "I'm glad you could make it."

I swallowed. "Yea, I wanted to come by and wish you a happy birthday. And Angie and Jess couldn't stay away." I gestured to them and laughed, and he quickly joined in.

"Well it's nice to see you." I think he could sense that I was finished with the conversation, and he licked his lips anxiously. It was a nervous habit of his. "I hope to see you soon. Thank you."

"Thank you." I responded, taking a sip from the flute he brought over.

I sat in silence for a few minutes, watching couples dancing. I lazily finished my champagne. Overcome with boredom, I finally looked up from my drink and saw Rob eyeing me from across the room, I quickly scanned the other side of the area, feeling a blush lighten my cheeks. As I casually continued my observation, I was surprised to see another man who had his eyes glued to me.

I looked away obviously, thinking maybe my eyes had tricked me, he was looking at something behind me. After a second look, I found him still holding me under his piercing gaze. He was tall, probably 6 feet or so. He was also incredibly handsome, brown hair and blue eyes that I could see from here.

I felt my cheeks deepen into an even rosier pink, so I gave a small smile, pushing a strand of loose hair behind my ear. He returned the smile, and looked away to one if his friends who had been trying to get his attention. After a few moments, I realized that Jessica and Angelina were trying to do the same.

"Alex!" Angie asked, nudging me with her elbow. She looked concerned but also very interested by what I had been so memorized by.

"Oh!" I gasped, giving a breathy and nervous laugh. "The food here...looks really good!" I managed to tear my eyes away from his tall frame, looking at them. "Sorry about that, just...distracted."

Jessica laughed. "We noticed."

I made a face. "No need for sarcasm, Miss Fletcher."

Jessica laughed, and Angie said "What's gotten your panties in a twist?"

I sighed, laughing softly. "Hungry. Rob, of course. But I'm fine." The two of them gave me a smile full of pity, and I returned it, feeling sick to my stomach. I hated the pity!

"Excuse me?" I heard a smooth, deep voice from behind me. I turned in my chair and almost had a heart attack. There he was, the blue-eyed brunette man from across the room. I smiled, squeaking "Yes?"

"May I have the honor of this dance?" He asked, extending his large hand out to me, eyes warm and inviting.

_________

Sorry this is so short, I just wanted to get a chapter up :)