Chapter 12

Professor Mcgonagall's POV

The plumes ricochet madly, scattering the tracery as the knights struggle to defend the castle. I look up at the sky: more plumes light up the sky, and they begin to plummet.

No One's POV

Windows shatter, pierced by plumes, which materialize into Death Eaters. Instantly, students and staff engage the dark wizards, standing shoulder to shoulder as they defend the school against the onslaught. Fred and George fall on either side of Arthur, wands blazing, while Remus, Tonks and Shacklebolt battle only yards away, the fighting swift and lethal.

Neville's POV

My eyes rake the fiery nightscape before me, then shift to the more immediate vicinity. I go still as my eyes find Scabior. The Snatchers. Are rising. Moving forward. Towards... me.

"Not good." I mumble to myself.

I start to back up slowly, then i turn my heel and dart back up the bridge. I run and run but the snatchers have reached the bridge. I look behind me and draw my wand. I set off the bombs. Instantly one bridge section after another explodes, rolling up like carpet. Snatchers fall from sight, plummeting into the darkness. I look over my shoulder and see that Scabior is closing in on me, then I look back at Ginny who stands frozen, wand raised, never fired, looking at Seamus, who magically appeared next to Ginny with fanatical ecstasy as he watches the charges detonate. As Seamus howls with pleasure, i hear myself wheezing painfully, i look back and see that Scabior has closed the distance and is coming fast when, Ka-Blam! Scabior is catapulted in the air. I feel relieved but then i realize that the bridge is falling away with increasing speed. The remainders begin to discharge, tripping off like firecrackers, one section after another vanishing. Then the one under my feet and i feel myself falling but i quickly, desperately find some wood to hang on too. Luckily i do. I can hear Ginny gasp and i pull my hand up to the broken bridge where Seamus and Ginny are. I pull myself up.

"Well that was fun." I say sarcastically. I get to my feet and look out in the distance. Giants. Giants crash over the viaduct, laying waste to the knights as more plumes rocket overhead.

No One's POV

Harry, still feeling the effects of Voldemort's shield shattering, stumbles forward, with Lily at his side. Spells fly and bodies fall. Like a man possessed, he veers on, fighting his way toward the archway opposite when he sees a Death Eater drawing a bead on him. Lily, not paying attention suddenly yelps in pain as the Death Eater's wand points at her and a flash of red comes from the tip of his wand. Harry drops the Death Eater with one flick of his wand. He stares at Lily who has her hand against her side, staring at Harry, her face shows no emotion. Then her hand leaves her side as her shirt is stained with red, so is her hand. She gasps and Harry, with wide eyes, catches her before she hits the ground.

"No no, you are fine! It's just sectumsempra, just a spell. You will be fine!" Harry says shaking. Just then Ginny and Neville appear.

"Lily?!" Ginny screams and crawls to her. "Neville we need to go, we need to get her to the... the hospital wing." Ginny says. Harry looks at her with tears flowing from his eyes. Neville picks Lily up bridal style. "I know. You'll find her after?" Ginny asks. He nods. Suddenly they were gone. Harry wipes his face and runs.

As Harry pelts down the corridor, an explosion detonates and the windows running the length of the corridor explode- one after another- showering Harry in glass. Then the wall itself falls away, rubble falling into the night and below. He never breaks the stride. As the billowing smoke thins, Malfoy appears, flanked by Blaise and Goyle. They follow.

Ron's POV

Hermione and I fly out of the bathroom, still soaking wet. Hermione takes the Marauder's Map from the beaded purse, we look. It is swarming with dots.