Chapter 23

(Harry and Voldemort)

Harry rises and Voldemort fires again, but Harry simply rises again. Furious, Voldemort steps forward and points the wand only inches from Harry's forehead, seething. Harry glances behind, his vision spinning. Nothing is behind him. Only a void beyond the blasted battlement. Only sky and a great fall. He turns back to Voldemort.

"You were right." Harry says.

Voldemort's eyes glitter curiously. Harry's eyes drift to the wand in Voldemort's hand.

"When you told Professor Snape it was failing you. It will always fail you." Harry says again.

"It belongs to me! I killed Snape!" Voldemort screams.

"But what if the wand never belonged to him? What if the wand's allegiance was to someone else?" Harry says in a taunting voice.

Voldemort stares at him. Confused. And suddenly, in this moment, it is Harry, beaten and bloody, who seems incontrol. He smiles, then presses even closer, his voice quiet, vaguely taunting:

"Come on, Tom. Let's end this the way we started it..."

The he snatches Voldemort's robes.

"Together."

And then he pulls back, pulling them both.

(Marble staircase with Hermione and Ron fighting Nagini.)

Hermione and Ron dash down the stairs. Nagini closes on them. And then- suddenly- Nagini hisses madly, twisting crazily on the steps, tail snapping back and forth, shattering stairs and walls.

"Whats the matter with her?" Hermione asks.

(Harry and Voldemort in the castle face)

Harry and Voldemort plummet, twisting crazily, when suddenly a crack fills the sky and they apparate into a plume.

Entwined, morphing monstrously in and out of one another, a single screaming beast one minute, adversaries the next, hurtling downward, toward the courtyard below...

(Marble staircase)

Hermione and Ron watch Nagini thrash. As rubble rains down, they begin to run for the Great Hall, skirting Flitwick and Hagrid, who battle a pair of Death Eaters on the stairs.

Further up the marble stairs, Professor Trelawney raises her wand, draws a bead on a Death Eater and with a forceful flick, sends him flying through the air. Seamus regards her with amazement.

"There's more to me than incense and tea leaves, Mr. Finnegan." Professor Trelawney says.

(Courtyard with Harry and Voldemort)

The fighting wizards stop, peer upward at the plume above. As it streaks toward the ground, another crack fills the sky and Harry and Voldemort burst apart as they meet the ground, rolling onto their feet facing one another across the courtyard.

Chests heaving, they stare at one another, then Voldemort's eyes shift. Harry follows his gaze and watches the Elder Wand roll to a rest.

"I told you: it's useless to you."

Just then, Ron and Hermione burst into view, followed by Nagini. Nagini rises, ready to strike. Harry turns, wand in hand, but he's too late.

Ron reaches out... and takes Hermione's hand.

Voldemort grabs the Elder Wand...

Nagini's head drops toward Ron and Hermione...

Harry watches in horror as...