Chapter 16

No One's POV

As Harry descends, Neville and Oliver Wood appear in the Entrance Hall far below, carrying the body of a smallish boy: Nigel.

"I'll take him from here." Oliver says. as he throws Nigel over his shoulder and enters the Great Hall. Neville watches them go, looking, for a moment,very old. Then, wearily, he turns, heading back outside.

In the distance, shadows collect the dead, too occupied with their grim task to notice Harry. He stares straight ahead, just walking, until a voice tugs his ear:

"It's all right. We're going to get you inside." Ginny crouches over the tiny Ravenclaw girl, who is crying.

"I kept calling. No one came." The girl sobs.

"Don't worry. I won't leave you. I promise." Ginny says. Ginny strokes the sobbing girl's hair, her own face haunted by sorrow. Harry studies her, moved, then continues on. A moment later, Ginny turns, looks to the place where he was standing... but finds only darkness. Harry reaches the Forest's edge. Within, further on, he can see Dementors drifting within the trees. Harry starts to enter, then pauses, reaches into his pocket and removes the Snitch. Eyes the words etched upon it: "I open at the close."

Harry frowns, then closes his eyes, brings the metal orb to his lips. His fingers tremble, then lowers his hand, watching as the metal shell falls away to reveal... the resurrection stone. A jagged crack runs down its center, along the line representing the Elder Wand. The triangle and circle, representing the Cloak and Stone, are faintly visible. Harry stares at it, then closes his eyes and begins to roll the Stone over in his hand.

"Once, twice.. thrice..." Harry murmurs.

Harry stands for a moment and then, slowly, opens his eyes. Reacts. four people stand within the Forest: James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin and Lily Potter. Harry's mum, not sister. Lily eyes him lovingly and beckons him forth. As if in a dream, Harry drifts through the trees, stops before her.

"You've been so brave sweetheart." Lily says. "And your sister. I'm so proud of you two."

"Why are you here? All of you." Harry asks.

"We never left, dear." Lily says.

"Does it hurt? Dying?" Harry asks.

"Quicker than falling asleep." Says Sirius.

"And he will want it to be quick." Remus says.

"You're nearly there, son." James, his father says. He loves to see all their faces. He thinks of Lily now, how she'd love to see all these faces.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want any of you to die for me. And Remus, your son..."

"Others will tell him what his mother and father died for. Someday he'll understand..." Remus says.
"Lily will look after him, if Molly doesn't get him first." Harry responds.

"I have no doubt." Remus smiles.

A chill runs through the trees. Harry looks ahead.

"You'll stay with me?" Harry asks again.

"Until the end." James says.

"Lily is mad at me. I had Ron hold her so i could leave. She doesn't want me to die." Harry says looking at his father.

"She's stubborn that one, Just like her mum." James chuckles. Lily smiles.

"It's going to take a while, but she'll be ok. She's a fighter, just like her dad." Lily says smiling at James. Harry smiles.

"He won't be able to see you?" Harry asks them.

Sirius shakes his head, gestures to Harry's heart.