+ the 3 with the spit +

A snarl rumbled in the back of my throat, the noise trembling through the tiles and benches. Hind legs lowered to spring, eyes shimmering a starry night black.

Archer made a bold step forward and my jaw widened, ready to snap. Rushes of energy swirled around my body, pumping heat and hunger in my chest.

He extended a hand. The light bulb burst above us.

The energy flow cracked, and the world stilled, Archer's stare breaking away the heat. He turned his wrist and the energy flow divided, scattering and swirling around me in frenzy. The beast roared inside and I felt my palms hit the tiles, my knees followed next, the irises of my eyes furiously glowing.

Archer twisted his wrist again and my shoulders rotated, bones moving in reverse. My fur eased back into my skin, scales slipping under my flesh along with the remains of the energy.

I felt my soul being ripped into two, separating human and beast. The warm energy gluing them together faded and my fingers tingled and flexed. Nails replaced claws; the dark power crawling into its cellar and leaving me dry of power.

White lights flashed before my eyes and they shrunk into a mud brown colour.

The beastly growl and human scream merged into a mirror shattering pitch that even sent Archer back.

The other world was sewn shut and my lungs found air again, my breath coming in short gasps.

Everything was silent as I was left cold and shivering on the floor.

Roger moved first, returning to my side with a look mixed with shock and relief and horror. I heaved another breath and dragged myself to sit up, legs too numb.

"I thought we'd save the freak show for another day," Archer simply said, standing there with a smug grin.

The single trace of relief was from his two other friends behind him. I searched the Hero's gaze for the dark power but his eyes revealed only emptiness.

Careful not to get lost, I shifted my gaze to his hand that casually slipped into one pocket.

"How did you do that?" I tried to say but my voice was lost. Shifting was what protected us villains; our inner beast fought for us when we were weak. And I just witnessed our worst enemy wash out that power with a simple flick of the wrist.

Thankfully my heart slowed down and I took in one last deep breath. "How did you stop my shifting?"

"If you join me in this operation, I can show you how." The corner of his lip curled up, a dimple revealing itself. "And many other things."

The temptation grew and my eyes flickered over to Roger's arm, the metal band still around it. I hunted for his response but he couldn't stop staring at Archer's hand.

My own tide of questions swept away any possible answer from me, leaving my mind bare and confused. How did the Hero know my species?

I didn't even know what I was. That thought struck home and I beat back the forbidden pain, hiding it away from my eyes. Archer already had me by my weak point and the last thing I needed was to give him an advantage.

"What do you say?" Archer asked. He stretched out his hand again and my beast silently screamed at me to run. "Knowledge in exchange for your trustworthy position in our pack."

I should've known he was two steps ahead. His words stripped my privacy naked and I felt cold and defenceless; he knew everything and much more.

I had to keep up with the enemy.