+ the 25 with the itotallyforgotwhatchapteriswas +

RECAP:

I patted his arm, wincing again at the sudden movement. "Thanks, pal. I mean, I could've died if I didn't get out of that jeep so technically you were second away from killing me—"

"Shhhh. Don't disturb the peace and the peace won't disturb you."

I gave him the stink eye. "Hey, that sounds like a stupid line I'd say. What are you doing, stealing my dialogue and all?"

My inner beast shrieked, and my knees hit the ground.

"Vhalerie?" Trent yelled.

I released a howl, my mind crashing against the beast as it rattled and shook inside of me. Trent stumbled back at the abrupt sound.

"Vhalerie, what are you doing?!"

My beast forbid me to answer.

Because something else was calling to it.

ARCHER'S POV

I heard it howling in the distance.

I smelled the moss crawling up the walls, tasted the last of my salty beads of sweat and felt my nerves vibrate.

I viewed the specks of water trickling into my mouth.

I broke away from the chains that I forced myself in, feeling the grasslands of the Heroes squish beneath my feet. A tail swoosh behind me, my bones breaking and mending into an unknown figure.

My white eyes were dipped in ocean blue, swirled of a grey fog to then be devoured by the colour black. The same black that matched my soul.

Hell answered my prayers.

+++

Chapter yikesidontrememberitsbeensolong

VHALERIE'S POV

"It's happening." A gleam flashed across Trent's eyes, captured by the sounds of haunting war cries.

"What—what—what do—" My voice fought to be heard, but the beast sunk its fingers into my bones and grabbed control of my vocals.

"Let it take you." Trent took a few steps back, disappearing with into the rest of the blurs that collided with one another.

I stumbled sideways as the inner beast seeped into my heart, blackening what I thought was the darkest colour my soul could go.

The Medallion around my neck glowed, it burning into my chest.

The magic of this creature turned my body inside out; sticky bones popped out of my skin, multiplying down my ribcage and hip bone. A scream left my scratchy throat as feathers spread across my back.

Scales grew past my arms, snaking around my legs like tight armor. This new weight dragged me down as my knees hit the grass, palms next. Nailbeds cracked and talons quickly developed, ten sparkling hooks flaring past my feet and hands.

The cry of another beast shook my bones, it setting off a new fire that roared in my chest. My inner beast cried out towards the call as it shook my ribcage like a prison.

My body was its prison.

But the beast made me its slave.

The wind howled and blew my hair up, it twirling like a hurricane before it dissolved into black feathers and midnight blue scales.