+ Chapter 15: the one with the majestic fall +

"There's a game the Senior Villains play in the Forbidden City."

"The one Vhalerie could've been in if, you know, she wasn't kidnapped or something," Roger said. 

I tossed my pink hair to the side. "Yeah.  I know of it.  Villains team up to find the Medallion hidden within the—"

"Forbidden City.  Yadda yadda yad," Roger cut in, spinning his hand to further the conversation.  "We know it, bud.  What do you want us to do?"

"You want us to steal the Medallion," I answered, staring at Trent. 

Roger's eyes widened.  "Please tell me you're actually shitting sandwiches this time.  Because I don't think I can handle another joke."

Trent shook his head.  "Kanye West serious." 

"YEZUS!" Roger exclaimed and threw his hand up in outrage.

"Guys. Citizen jokes. I don't get them. You know what, never mind." I faced Trent. "You can't get food anywhere else?" Although I loved a good challenge, going back to Villain Academy suddenly seemed so displeasing...

Since, like, half the school still hated me and 80% of what I learned was a lie.

Trent moved over with the rest of the group, sitting down on one of the barrels.  "How else do you think we could get food?  Grow it out here?"  He scooped a handful of sand and let it run through his fingers.  I noticed the odd tattoos inked across his palm and wrists. 

I closed my mouth shut.  "Well, no." 

"We either bargain for it, or steal it."  He looked out in to the cool night, it reaching out with dark arms to take any willing survivor who dared to get swallowed by the night.  "It isn't easy out here for a Civilian.  We don't have academies and schools to educate our children.  We have guns and bread; children grow up fighting for their life because they know that no one else will." 

Someone passed Trent a bottle and he took a sip of what was left of the water.  After a few drops on his tongue, he tossed the bottle on the sand.  He squinted, pointing towards the distance that seemed endless from here.  "Villain Academy is just eight hills down from here.  Steal the Medallion so can we can exchange it with the witch." 

"You can't be serious," I said. 

"Usually it's me and our strongest Civilians to fetch whatever the witch wants, but I trust you and your pet will do something smart."

"Pet?!" Roger exasperated and I yanked on the leash.  "Hey!  Hey!  Get this rope off of me.  I'll obey and I won't transform into some ultra Beast of Villain thinga-ma-doodle, okay?  Okay?!

I muttered curses and untied the rope, letting it fall around his ankles as he stepped out with a smile. 

"Why are you trusting us?" I asked Trent, who watched Roger get free.  "How do you know we won't run?"

"We have sources in the academy.  We have eyes everywhere, sugar.  We'll know if you lose a few marbles and get stupid by trying to leave us here."

Roger's stomach growled and he hiked up his pants more.  "Alrighty then."  He collapsed on the sand, making an imprint of a starfish outline with his body.  "When do we leave?"

"Now," I replied.

"How convenient.  Just when I'm starving my butt off and find the sand ridiculously relaxing, you ask me to get up and pull a heist at what, one in the morning?  Thanks.  Really.  This friendship has helped me so much," Roger purred.