+ the 26 with the cake on the beach +

RECAP:

"There they are!" Trent screamed, pointing towards us. A herd of people ran over, sweat still gleaming off their foreheads and necks.

"Oh my god. People." Roger groaned. "Can I just stay here forever and not move. I don't feel like meeting new people."

"No, that means I have to be the only one to explain what happened," I said.

"And what's wrong with that?"

"Who will believe me? 'Yeah, so I didn't actually die and neither did Roger. This funky necklace a witch gave us in the desert saved our life by sucking our souls before they made it to Hell or Heaven—we have yet to decide—and kept us trapped with a bunch of crazy angels with machetes. Oh, and Trent used me so hold me back before I murder him."

"I'd believe that story," Roger said with a shrug.

"You'd believe anything," I said, glaring.

My mom and Trent rushed over, their own people or who was left of it anyway following behind.

"What happened?! I thought you were dead?!" My mom threw a hand up in outrage.

Trent nodded, uneasiness settling across his face. "Yeah, mind explaining the pink wings?"

All eyes rested on my wings, the feathers still broad yet light as hell.

"Where did you get those fabulous wings?!" Trent even added and brushed his hand over the feathers. "Softer than a babies bottom..."

My mom stomped her foot down. "What happened?! We saw the Beast stab you in the heart, and it held you for a moment before you dissolved into pink flames!"

"We had to fight angels and shit," Roger explained.

"An angel," she said.

"Yes, a fucking angel," I snapped. Trent's presence had me clenching my fists.

"Whose halo did you let up your ass?" Trent asked.

"Please tell me you didn't let him put a halo up your ass," my mother said.

"Amen!" said Archer.

"Don't even go there," my mother ended. "What is going on in this conversation?"

Wait—Archer.

My eyes met the young man as he moved through the crowd and stepped in front of me. Clothes tattered and torn, his exhausted eyes look even more drained and scales remained on his arms from his beast.

"Hey, hero," he told me.

+++

"Guess whose back bitches." Roger sat upright and gave two peace signs to the rest of the crowd.

"What is going on here?!" My mom stomped her foot down and a crack split under my feet.

"You tell me," Trent asked and turned towards her. "Did you know this would happen?"

"Everyone, hold the fuck up." I put my finger in the air and silence fell over the beach except for the soft waves climbing up the sand. "I want to get some things off my chest. Death does that kind of stuff to people. You start to realize things... who betrayed who... who lied to who... and now that I have a clear mind. So let me speak."

I flapped my pink wings and the gust of wind sent them backwards except for Roger who stood by my side with... ugh-sandwich wings. The gifts death bestowed on us...