Chapter 21

Kane yelps in pain and falls to the ground, unable to walk from the spear that was violently thrown into his upper leg.
"Abby," he croaks. "Go."
Abby shakes her head. "I will not leave you," she says, tears now streaming down her face. She needs to tend to Kane's wound, but instead she turns her attention to the man in front of her, who is preparing to throw another spear.
"No!" Abby screams, and lunges towards the man, causing him to drop his spear and fall to the ground. She quickly grabs the spear from his hand, and watches him beg for mercy as she jabs it into his heart, causing automatic death.
Abby has no time to reflect on the fact that she just killed a man. Instead, she goes over to Kane, ignoring the throbbing pains she is getting from the deep and raw cuts the three men gave her.
"Marcus?" She asks, cupping her hands around his face and sitting down beside him. "I need to get you back to camp now, okay?" She asks gently. She examines the spear. Should she take it out? She asks herself. She looks at the location that the spear is in.
"Can you move your leg?" She asks him, and he winces with pain as he moves his leg up and down.
"Good," she tells him. "It didn't hit anything major. Okay, now I'm going to take the spear out. Do you want a warning?" She asks, and he weakly shakes his head.
Abby mentally counts to three, and then carefully pulls the spear out of Kane's leg, leaving a medium sized wound that is oozing dark red blood.
"I'm gonna get you back to camp," Abby says.
She tries to pick him up, but fails. She is not that strong, and Kane is heavier than she is.
"I don't know how to get you back to camp," she says shamefully. She looks up from Kane and searches the green and brown of the forest for something or someone that can help her, but all she finds are the misleading colors and sounds of the forest during the daytime.
"Do you think you can walk back to camp with my help?" Abby asks.
"I... I can do it," Kane replies, unsure if what he just said is completely true. Abby stands up, and then helps to lift Kane up, who winces in pain.
"You can lean on me," Abby tells him, and he does, because it's the only way he can stand. Abby struggles to support the weight of both Kane and herself, but she tries the best she can. They both have great motivation to keep going, and that is each other. So little by little, they take small steps, and make their way back to camp.
~~~~
When Abby and Kane get back to camp, they find that it took them 4 times longer to get back then it did for them to leave. They stumble over each other, weak and in pain. They wince with every step they take. When they get up to the gates, people start screaming to open them, and then crowd around Kane and Abby.
Kane can barely make out the horrified faces of the people crowded around them, muttering to each other. Abby looks up from the ground to see Jackson pushing his way through the crowd, followed by two stretchers.
Kane nearly falls to the floor before two men lift him up and put him on a stretcher, doing the same thing with Abby.
"What happened out there?" Jackson asks Abby, as Kane is not conscious enough to answer.
"We were attacked," she replies.
Jackson's eyes widen. "By who?"
Abby shakes her head. "I'm not sure who, but I know they're working for Emerson."
"But why?" He asks as they finally get into medical and put Kane and Abby down on operating tables.
Abby thinks about this. Why would he have them attack? Was it for pure fun and revenge, or is there a deeper meaning to these attacks? Abby needs to write this down somewhere, but for now one of Jackson's assistants are working on bandaging her cuts. She looks over at Kane to see him unconscious.
"How's Marcus?" She asks Jackson.
"He should be fine, but he's going to need crutches to walk. I suggest resting for the next few days," Jackson tells her.
"When will he be conscious again?" Abby asks.
"He should come back to consciousness in the next few hours. Do you want to stay with him?"
Abby considers this. She glances over at the blood-stained metal table, a peaceful Kane laying down on top of the cold hard silver. She feels a small stabbing pain of regret in her heart when she declines Jackson's offer.
"I have work to do," she says, and takes one last look at Kane before pulling down the handle and limping into the thick green grass outside of the building. She heads over to her house, pulling out a pen, a map, and some paper from a small table that sits next to their bed.
Abby tries to think of everything that Emerson has done to them, and every note he has left. She rummages through her bag to find the first note.
He said that every time they make a wrong turn, Clarke will be tortured more. But what if there's more to it than that?
Now, Abby plots the two points at which they got attacked, and how they happened. In the first attack, Emerson led Abby to the note with flowers, followed by her getting shot. In the second one, Emerson led both Abby and Kane to a specific spot, following the path of where he left the note, but then going further. Both of the attacks seemed to lead her to a specific plot on the map, following the same path. If Abby's right, then Emerson is doing this on purpose. Is he also torturing them when they make a wrong turn?
Abby takes a seat onto the thin white sheets that line the mattress of her makeshift bed, and furrows her eyebrows in concentration. With her pen, she makes lines connecting the points at which she was attacked, and the path she had to take to get there. Then, it all makes sense to her.
"It's a game," she whispers to herself. Her face lights up in excitement as she grabs the map and pen from next to her, and bursts out the door of her home into the middle of camp, heading towards medical to find Kane.
Now, she is one more step closer to finding Clarke.
~~~~
Hey guys!
So yes, I know I didn't update Monday. I have a schedule so that I can be more organized, and update as close to the days that I'm supposed to as possible. Sometimes I might skip a day, or be a day early or late, but in my opinion it's better to have a quality chapter than a rushed one.
School for me starts again next Monday, so I will give you an update about how often I should be updating afterwards. Hopefully this doesn't affect the amount of time I have to write, but I won't know until it comes.
Don't forget to comment what you thought of the chapter and vote if you liked it! Love ya ;D
~Brie