five

edited.

"Wake up, sleepyhead." A voice whispered in my ear, and shook my shoulders. I opened my eyes rapidly, to find Tyler giving me a comforting smile. I sleepily rubbed my eyes and sat up, inhaling and yawning softly.

"What time is it?" I asked, groggily. Tyler checked his phone, his eyes widening at the bright light.

"3:00 A.M."

I nodded my head, knowing that we probably wouldn't get to Tyler's surprise destination until later at night.

I looked out the window, only to be disappointed. It was completely dark, the only light coming from the moon that poked through the thick, rustling trees. I wondered why Tyler brought me to the middle of a forest, and began to fear a little bit.

He didn't seem like the serial killer type, but you never know.

"Before you freak out," he whispered, reading my mind. "this isn't it. The real thing is a small walk, but it's worth it."

I sleepily nodded my head, stepping out of the car with him. He brought the wine, and a small basket, which I didn't even notice he had before.

"Look up."

I did as he said and tilted my head forwards, my eyes locking on the sky. The air was knocked out of me.

The midnight sky was a blue vapor color, the wind giving off an illusive impression that the air was clouded with smoke. The stars were a few different intensities, but they all lined together to illuminate the ground, and the sky we breathed in ever so quickly.

My mouth flew agape, and this enough would've brought meaning to the whole short trip. We could've left right then and there and I would've been satisfied, but there was more.

"Come on!" Tyler giggled as he grabbed onto my wrist, pulling me with him towards a weird source of faint glow that was coming from the ground.

Once we got closer, I realized that we were on a cliff. There was something underneath us that lit up our surroundings almost better than the stars.

The city.

We stopped at the edge of the cliff, and once again, I felt weightless. The city below us was so alive and bright even at an unholy time. Millions of colors and movements were blurred into one big piece of art, that was worthy of a top spot in a modern museum.

It somehow reminded me of my mind, how during the day, it was just a shell. It was sort of dim, and there were no flashing lights until everything else was dark. That's when it was most alive, and it was beautifully dangerous.

"Tyler, I-"

"It reminds me of, well- my head." he began, softly. I looked over at him to see his eyes already burning a hole into me. "It's so alive at a time when not many people get to see it, but when the day comes and everyone's around it, it's average."

I felt an overwhelming desire to hug him tightly, so I turned to him and jumped in his arms, our chests hitting and my arms quickly wrapping themselves around his neck as I rested my head on his shoulder. He was taken aback and let out a soft chuckle before wrapping his arms around my waist, sending chills down my entire body.

I really liked him, but I couldn't let myself catch romantic feelings.

I needed to heal myself before I can get into a relationship with anybody, and I didn't want to eventually think of Tyler as a rebound, but rather a best-friend.

He was helping me heal myself, and I needed him as a friend. I needed him around. So as long as I was in this confusing state of misery, I would keep Tyler as a friend. A really close friend.