#Steve: Getting Caught In The Rain

#Steve Rogers X Reader

A/N: I had this random idea for this one shot for quite some times. I hope you guys like it:)

It was one of Tony's parties. Somehow, he managed to get it started at six in the evening. The floor was packed and suffocating, and you were squashed to a corner with your buddies, the Avengers.

"Did I travel all the way from Asgard for this?" Thor mumbled in annoyance and looked over the crowd with ease. By the Dj, who was spinning the track madly, Tony hopped to the beat with a bottle in hand.

Natasha had a smirk on her face as she gazed around us. "Well, I guess this is better than some random club on the street."

Next to you, Steve managed to squeeze his way through and settled with you guys. His broad shoulders were hunched as he tried not to pump with other people. "Have you guys seen Bucky?" the soldier questioned worried. Chuckling, you pointed towards the kitchen area. Just by the door, Bucky was stuck with three chicks around him, all fascinated by the former assassin. The Winter Soldier's face was tight and annoyed, but he didn't want to push his way out of the situation. Steve watched on in amusement when Clint raised his bottle of beer enthusiastically.

"Since we're here already, let's do something!" Clint grinned wicked around you all and crossed his arms. "Who's up for Spin The Bottle?"

Natasha laughed while Thor scrunched up his face in confusion. "I'm in!" Sam, appearing out of nowhere, high fived Clint before winking at Natasha, who deliberately ignored with a light smile. She inched closer to Bruce, and the scientist took a swig of his drinks nervously.

"I think I will stay out of this one," Steve chimed in alas, his cheeks burning in embarrassment. Echoing Natasha's smirk, you knew exactly why Steve would want to stay out of this game. Last time, Steve was forced into the game by Maria Hill. Needless to say, the game had gotten pretty entertaining to watch. Even the Winter Soldier had the corner of his lips lifted. "I think I'm just going to go now. Good night everybody."

The music blasted loudly in your ears. A subtle headache began to creep into your head. Grimacing, you turned to Steve. "I will come with you," you said and Steve smiled shyly, taking your empty bottle from you so he could toss it in the bin. The others started whistling and stuff, but you stuck your tongue out at him and pushed Steve towards the elevator. "Just ignore them," you remarked light-heartedly and joined the soldier in the elevator.

There were always rumours about Steve's crush on you. It was quite obvious that Steve was always nervous around you and adding bits and bobs, you had a slight idea that perhaps, Steve did like you more than a friend should.

But do you like him back? You thought as the elevator rumbled downwards. Squirming in the corner, Steve tried for a confident smile and asked, "Not enjoying yourself back there?"

"Nope," You popped the P and leaned against the rail. Without noticing it, you stared at the soldier in thoughts, causing him to flush and grinned awkwardly.

"Do I have something on my face?"

The doors slid open with a ring. Rolling your eyes, you laughed and slapped his arm on your way out. "Sorry, I was just thinking."

Steve caught up, his eyes shy on the ground, but a smile tugged at his lips. The two of you left the lobby and into the street. The sky was dim, and streetlights flickered on as you two headed down the street slowly. "What were you thinking of?" Steve asked innocently, his hands in his trousers' pockets as he strode next to you.

Tilting your head, you glanced up at the sky and pondered. Do you really like him? Sure, he was THE Captain America. He was righteous, justified and kind. He was basically the perfect boyfriend that everyone wanted. But there was something that was holding you back, and you couldn't quite put a finger on it. Gazing up, you saw the clouds rolling in. It was going to rain soon. An idea gradually formed in your head. Decisively, you slowed to a stop. Steve ceased his brows at you and halted to a stop too. "Is everything okay, Y/N?"

Inhaling deeply, you opted to go for it. Natasha was going to be proud. "Steve, do you like me?"

Instantly, Steve' face reddened. He stuttered, his gaze faltering away from yours and fell upon the pavements, before he looked up at you again. The first raindrop fell, landing on your shoulder and a wet spot smeared on your coat. You two stared briefly, allowing the interrupted moment to sink in. Glancing behind him, Steve spotted this little shop where its roof stuck out slightly, just enough for people to shelter themselves from the rain. "Shall we step aside and continue?" Steve asked nervously and smiled at you. You watched him, your heart racing as you made a decision. Steve turned and strode over to the shop. He must have thought you were following him, because he didn't notice you weren't behind him until he was right in front of the shop. "Y/N? It's going to rain soon and you're going to get wet," Steve remarked and gazed skywards worriedly. Grinning back, you fluttered your eyes close as you heard the first splash of rain hitting the pavements.

And it was raining.

You reached up and felt the rain pooled in the palm of your hands. You smiled in spite of the relaxing sensation and listened. This wasn't something as exciting as Shield missions but it was something. You waited and enjoyed yourself, hoping Steve would join you in the rain. Because if he didn't, then you had half a heart to reject him even if he confessed his feelings for you.

This was the reason, you realised. Steve was everything that a girl wanted, but he also didn't like to take risks anymore. The missions were unavoidable. But ever since he had plucked the bombs into the sea, ever since he had watched his best friend fall from the train, or when he had to be forced to leave his Peggy Carter behind, Steve didn't like drastic changes or reckless decisions.

You didn't blame him. But he simply wouldn't be able to enjoy life if he didn't try all these little exciting things.

So there you were, waiting in the rain and hoping Captain America would come and join you.

Steve's mouth parted in surprise when he saw you standing under the pouring rain. He worried that you would catch a cold or something. But as he watched, something nagged at his chest.

You were beautiful under the rain. Despite being drenched of water, you were savouring and relishing the moment. Holding in a breath, he stared, watching the rain dripped from your hair. Even from a distance, he could imagine the rain trickling along your eyelashes. The sight was magnificent to him, and Steve wanted so badly to remember this scene in his head forever.

You stayed in the rain, earning a few odd looks from passers. You didn't care though, and Steve admired that. A smile wondered its way to Steve's face as he inched closer to the rain, imaging himself next to you.

Peeking at him, you asked, "well, are you going to join me any time sooner?"

Steve laughed and caught sight of the grin on your face. God, she was beautiful, Steve thought and placed a hand in the rain. The rainwater hit his hand as he turned it over, so his palm was facing the sky.

Somehow, this felt strangely exciting. Glancing behind him, Steve saw the closed shop. Its window dark and unrevealing, almost like his past. Turning, he faced you once more and saw your face, your everything.

He knew it was time to let go of the past and live the moment.

So taking a deep breath, Steve Rogers stepped into the rain to join his best girl.