#Steve: It's Time To Go

#Steve X Reader requested by TaylorPaige126

A/N: I'm really sorry it took literally ages for me to complete this:( I have been preparing for my new college as well as starting my new manuscript. But anyway, I hope you enjoy this:) The idea of this one shot is basically that Steve and the reader are struggling about not spending enough time with each other, and it ends with a sad goodbye:(

You heard your boyfriend of months, Captain America, closed the door behind him as he let himself into the flat that you two shared. Hastily, you wiped away the tears on your cheeks and gripped onto the edge of the bed. "Y/N?" Steve called, "I'm home."

It had been two months since you had last seen him. Of course you missed him dearly. Hell, hearing his voice right now actually hurt, and it took up all your strength to not run to him straight away. You couldn't, you realised. The two of you had always spent your time apart, and it hurt. You couldn't let yourself all into the same vicious cycle again. Because you knew that after a few weeks, Steve would have gone onto another mission again, and it would be another few months before you could see your boyfriend once more. 

Steve pushed open the door to your room quietly, a worried frown stretched across his face. The room was dimly lit, and Steve took a step towards the bed that you two shared tentatively, his baby blues settled on you at once. The presence of him was overwhelming, and in the moment you wanted nothing but to throw yourself in his arms. "What's wrong, Y/N?" Steve asked, his voice was tight with exhaustion and concern. Guilt filled your chest for making Steve this worried but you knew you couldn't let this continue between the two of you. "Sweetheart?" Steve took another step towards you, and you gathered your knees to your chest in remorse. 

"Everything about us is wrong, Steve," You finally managed to speak up. Your voice was hoarse from all the crying. "I can't do this anymore."

He was silent. Gingerly, you peeked at your boyfriend. His large figure stood at the end of the bed. "Steve," you tried once more and stood, your chest was trembling with the sobs that you were holding back. You knew you would always want Steve and no one else in this world. You two were meant for each other, yet here you were, determined to break things apart. 

"Don't do this, please," Steve pleaded painfully. His voice was low as he reached out for your hands. You let him hold them, and you felt his hands shake. "What have I done, Y/N? Tell me, and I will correct my mistakes at once-"

You shook your head and gazed into Steve's eyes. They were soft and pained, and you couldn't believe you were the one to have caused the hurtful glint in his eyes. "We never spend time with each other. I have tried so hard to keep things together. But everyday it's getting hard to live without you, to not know if you were safe or where about you were. This is too much for me."

With his eyes bright and glassy, Steve cupped your cheeks in grave silence. You squeezed your eyes shut at his touch. The contact between his and your skin burnt, but you wanted more. "I love you, so so much, Y/N," Steve whispered and leaned his forehead against yours. You choked on your tears as you felt your boyfriend ran his thumb along your jaw. "I will do what's best for you, even though it kills me inside."

"I'm so sorry, Steve," You breathed, you felt like all the air in the room wasn't enough, and suddenly, your lips were on his. You two stilled, as if you were waiting for the impact to hit. Then the kiss stretched into something long and lingering, something so sweet and sacred that you couldn't bare to think about this moment after tonight.

"It's okay," Steve mumbled against your lips, his whole being was taut and slumped, as he leaned away from the love of his life. "If you need me, Y/N, you know where to look for me."

You stared up at your boyfriend. A sad smile tugged at his lips. He was trying to be brave for you, even though it was visibly clear that every pieces of him threatened to break away. "I love you, Y/N," Steve whispered as if it was a vow and a prayer that he kept close to his heart, and you believed him.

Leaning on your tip toes, you kissed your boyfriend one last time before leaving the room, leaving Steve Rogers, forever.