#Steve: Demons

#Steve X Reader requested by Tumblr user

A/N: Reader has dissociative identity disorder and no one knows about it. I've selected my friend's track for this one-shot and it matches the atmosphere perfectly. Please do check out her tracks if you're interested:) She's amazingly talented and I listen to her tracks when I need to concentrate:) Love y'all! xx

Lucy's track for the one-shot: https://soundcloud.com/luhall/vibe

There was a reason you quit Shield. No one knew about it except for Director Nick. You were unstable. Ever since your failed mission to dissolve one of Hydra's operations, it had left you traumatised. As a result, you were diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder. The thing is, when you encountered violent situations like what happened on your last mission, your mind automatically shut down your normal self, and altered to another aggressive identity that you imagined would protect you.

Your boyfriend of moths, Steve Rogers, knew nothing about it. You couldn't imagine revealing the monster within yourself to Steve. He would abandon you and never look at you twice.
In spite of your much effort in hiding traces of your last mission, your friends still found clues and threads. They noticed how you never went to Tony's pools parties, or how tensed up you got whenever you were out on the street at night.
But you had to admit, Steve was the most caring boyfriend you could ever ask for. Hence it could never escape him the scars that were craved upon your skin. He found out about your old wounds on one of those nights, when he was off missions and you could alas cuddle with him on the sofa. You were talking about your day, and Steve could barely keep his adoring gaze off you. Smiling affectionately, Steve leaned in to peck on your cheek. Then gently, he trailed kisses along your jaw. He paused as soon as his lips had found their way to your shoulder. "Y/N?" He whispered in surprise. His expression quickly fell dark and confused. Fluttering your eyes open, you realised Steve had discovered your fading scars. Huffing, you peeled yourself off Steve.
Steve seemed like he was having a hard time to get words out. His large hand landed on yours, and you were locked under his intense gaze. "What happened?" He asked quietly, his eyes lingering upon the old wounds that you felt so ashamed of.
"It's nothing," you murmured. Tears welled up in your eyes as you pulled your jumper closer around your body.
"Y/N," Steve pleaded and cupped your cheeks. You felt so small in his presence, and you wanted nothing more than to spill out all your secrets. "You don't have to hide anything from me."
You looked at him and fell silence, because you knew, you could never tell Steve about the demons in you.
The two of you never mentioned the night again. Although Steve had had a hard time pretending he was not pissed at whoever had hurt you, he was determined not to bring it up as long as you were content with it. But all hell broke loose when you opted to attend one of Tony's outdoor party. It was dark in the evening, which made your nerves all perk up. You tried to enjoy yourself in the crowd, keeping close to Natasha and Sam, since Steve had gone to get your drinks. Under normal circumstances you would feel more at ease if you had Bucky, Sam and Nat around you. But Bucky had gone into a mission yesterday with Clint so here you were, carefully trying to conceal all the fears that you had hidden in your chest.
Without any warning, all the lights around the outdoor opening were turned on. They casted their harsh lights upon the crowd and you squinted, your breaths shallow in your throat. "Oh for god's sake, Tony," Natasha mumbled next to you.
Some people were shrieking for no reasons at all. You bit the inside of your cheek as you tried to stay calm. You peered around you rapidly. Horror dawned on you as you drank in the familiar atmosphere. Suddenly, Tony's voice blasted out from the speaker, alongside with some rubbish music. Sam cheered and raised his bottle. "Turn up!" The man yelled and people around him followed suit.
The air seemed too suffocating. You gaped and pulled at your hair, your eyes tightly shut in a weak attempt to keep out the lights. The mission relived within your head.
The screams. The blood. The lights that exposed your whole team and yourself.
"Steve," you breathed helplessly and felt yourself begin to slip away. You were shove back when the whole crowd began to jump with the music. Nat and Sam were both too occupied to notice that you were gone. Next to you, a girl screamed in delight. But it felt too familiar. Before your eyes, you could see your best friend being killed by a Hydra man. Her scream lingered in your mind. You snapped.
The screams at Tony's party soon turned to shrieks of horror. You took down whoever was in your way. It was piece of cake for you. Being Nick's best agent had its perks. You were skilled and quick, using whatever you could as your weapons to knock out people. You were desperate to get to the other side of the opening, to fetch your teammates that had been captured by Hydra.
Suddenly, you were knocked of balance. You caught glimpse of flaming red hair but you wasted no time to get back up. Time was running out for you. You had to get to your teammates before Hydra killed them off. Then, you heard an engine roaring to life. You glanced up and saw a red and gold robot, hovering just above you.
"Don't make me do this, Y/N," the robot spoke up, it's metallic hands were aimed at you. "You're hurting innocents."
Before the robot could do anything, a shield was smashed into its chest, causing the high tech to fall back with a grunt. You snapped around to face the source of the shield, only to meet a pair of baby blues. The man before you was strong and tall. He could have killed you now if he wanted to. But he made no sign of advance. He looked at your with fused brows, his gaze was haunting and remorse. "This isn't you, Y/N," he spoke softly, despite the screaming crowd around you two. People were still trying to get out, but you were too absorbed in the moment to realise that they were running away from you.
The man was not making a move, and it was boring you. Grunting your teeth, you advanced and threw a fist at him. He blocked it off easily, his blond hair was even fairer in the harsh lights. You could tell he was trying his best not to hurt you, and for some odd reasons, it angered you. You ducked and swiped a leg under him. The man fell to the floor with a solid thud, and you took the opportunity to roll on top of him. You knelt with a knee near his throat, cutting out his wind as you put your weight down.
"Where did you keep them?" You spat and stared down at the man in disgust. You drew back a fist and waited for him to answer. Instead, his eyes widened as he struggled to understand what you were asking for. "I'm not playing your game anymore!" You shouted and punched him. When he didn't struggle, you strike again. You didn't slow until your knuckles were bruised and sticky, from his blood and your raw skin.
"Y/N," he choked and gagged as you drove your knee further down his chest. "It's me, Steve-"
Something held you back. You hesitated and watched the man under you. But when you looked across the stage, where most people had already eluded, you couldn't see your teammates. Rage arose in you and you glared at the man underneath you. He must have been a distraction sent by Hydra, and because you were so carried away with him, it gave Hydra the perfect opportunity to kidnap your teammates and do whatever they wanted to do with them.
Leaning down, you spoke with as much hatred you could summon in each of your individual word, "I don't know you."
Pulling back, you reached for a broken piece of glass from a beer bottle and raised it above you head. You were going to kill this man before you, and you wouldn't even blink twice or regret afterwards.
You were sure of it.