Chapter Thirty Seven

Unedited

When I woke up from the abyss of darkness, I found myself staring at the same ceiling I had seen days ago. The only difference was this time, I had a killer headache (and felt like I wanted to puke my guts out) and I still didn't have my little girl. Confusion filled me before the events of last night slowly trickled through me.

I'd actually gone through with it and asked Beau to turn me. Into a werewolf. I let out a sigh, and felt like smacking myself. I was a complete and utter idiot. I'd only called them monsters days ago and now I wanted to be like them? Damn you drunken ideas! Damn you drunken mind for making some sense!

Shielding my hands away from the light, I felt my stomach lurch and I could feel a dry heave coming on. Knowing what would happen in the next few seconds, I threw the covers off and jumped off the bed. My legs gave way and I crumpled to the floor and before I could spew out my stomach's content on the floor, a bucket was thrown into my hands.

"Thanks." I mumbled after, wiping my mouth with the back of my hands. Looking up, I was shocked to see Tristan. He looked exhausted; black bags under his eyes, his hair looked as if someone had been repeatedly shoving their hands in it and he was so pale. Normally, I would have made a comment but I didn't have the energy nor the heart to take the mickey out of him.

"When I said about the whole tough girl act, I wasn't expecting you to get Beau to turn you." There was a hardness in his eyes that I'd never seen. "You could have died!"

"Beau didn't turn me." Shock was written across his face.

"That's not what he said."

"I found a rogue wolf. Beau found me just as the dude bit me." I lied. I remembered the fear on Beau's face when he told me that he wasn't allowed to. And then I'd guilt-tripped him into it. He wasn't going to take the blame. I'd make sure.

"Regardless, you could have died."

"Well I didn't!" I sounded like a child but I didn't care. This had been my decision, and now I had to go through with it. "Why didn't I turn into a wolf?"

"Bec-," I didn't let Tristan finish before I asked another question.

"And where's Beau?"

"He's with my father."

"And?" I knew there was more than what he was letting on.

"And he's being punished. It's against pack law to turn someone."

"But I just said he didn't turn me!" An animalistic growl tore out of my throat and shocked me into silence. And then Tristan's words really hit me. Beau was being punished. Because of me.

It wasn't going to happen. I wasn't going to let it happen.

"Take me to them." I was going to protect Beau. I felt it in me to protect him.

"Mara, you can barely walk..."

"I said," my voice was cold and it frightened me, "take me to them."

As if sensing that I wasn't fooling around, Tristan helped me up and led me out of the room. Leaning on him, my mind kept going over the events of last night. Beau bit me. I was going to turn into a wolf. I was protecting the person who turned me. Well, who listened to my pleas. And there was this sense of power running through me even though I felt like crap. This was definitely the worst hangover I'd ever had.

Eventually, we came to a room that I'd never seen before. It was an office, a very modern looking office. Sleek black desk with a large black comfy chair behind it. There were two huge bookcases behind, completely filled with books. Apart from that end of the room, the rest was bare.