Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Walking down the corridor alone, I couldn't see where Georgia had gotten the impression that Mr. Figgins was a bastard.  He was honestly the best teacher I'd ever had.  Okay, yeah, he may have bitten my head off about coming in a month late to the school year and about getting a 'U' in my first Maths exam (not that I'd really cared about it).  But after that, he'd calmed down and was pretty chilled.  Gave me a test and just let me get on with it.  After I finished it, within half an hour, he said I was free to go.  What uncool teacher let someone out, an hour before the lesson ended?  I suppose it meant he could have been lazy.

I looked round, trying to memorise the corridor.  I think this was the humanities one.  The school looked large from the outside, but it wasn't that large on the inside.  Some sort of optical illusion, I guess.  Most of the corridors were filled with large classrooms but only about four on each side.  So it was large in width, but not length.  Maybe the back was just one massive field?  Maybe this school liked their sports.

Hearing some laughing, harsh laughter, I found myself power walking to find the source.  Curiosity burned through me.  Soon enough, I found myself facing a smallish crowed of big looking guys.  None of them really intimidated me.  I'd seen bigger guys and ones with way more scars.  Ones who had more of a temper.  These were just dumb guys who thought because they were big, they'd scare people.  I knew what they were doing, why they were crowding round.  I wasn't going to stand for it.  It was one thing to be picking on someone who was your own size but another thing to gang up on a helpless person who looked to be half their size.

“Excuse me, boys.”  I said, alerting them of my presence.  “And what do we have here?”

They all turned and looked me over.  All with lust in their eyes.  I started to feel angry, with their eyes focused on my body.  I didn't like it one bit. I heard a faint whimpering noise from behind them, and before I peered round, one of them blocked my view.  My anger increased. If I was back in my old school, this wouldn't have been happening.  They would have been running for their lives.   My temper was not one to be toyed with and at the moment, it seemed to be trying to burst out of my skin.  My maternal instincts were kicking up.  Damn baby, making me have maternal instincts.

“Nothin' for you to look at, pretty girl.”  He said, trying to sound seductive.  I just snorted.  Did he really think it would work on me?  One, he wasn't my type, and two, he was irritating me by just standing there.  “You new here?  You look a little lost, maybe I can show you the way to a room you might like to see.”  Ugh.  Gross.  And it's not like I'd heard that before!

“What I would like to look at,” I started to say, my voice low and threatening, “is what's behind you.  Maybe that would satisfy me.”  The guy didn't look impressed.  I just rose my eyebrows, giving nothing away.  There was no emotion on my face, nothing for him to interpret.  My poker face actually freaked some people out because they didn't know what I was going to do.

“A pretty girl like you should be going.  We wouldn't want your pretty face getting hurt, now would we?”  He said.  I knew he wasn't meaning his last sentence as a threat.  He looked as if he loved girls too much to raise a hand to them.

“Now, let me see or I'll do something that you'll regret.”  My fingers curled into a ball, waiting to be thrown at this guy.  They were aching to be thrown into his pig-like face.  It would be so satisfactory!

“Ooh.”  He said, giving up the charm and turning into a complete douche.  It wouldn't have surprised me if this was what his personality was usually like.  “I'm so scared!  What could a girl do to me?”  He laughed.  That was the last straw.  It was like a string had snapped inside me.  The way he looked, the way he looked at me and then his laugh.  His laugh alone was annoying me.  It was like it pierced my ears.