Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

I blamed Mason for this. I shouldn't have let him talk me into coming back here. It was a terrible idea.

“Why did you drive me back? Now I get to sit here and be lectured.” I whispered harshly to Mason. He'd somehow roped me into getting into his car early this morning and drove me back to Liam's. Hell, I didn't even complain when he woke me up at five in the morning, saying it wasn't right for me to be with him at Christmas.

“Because it's the right thing to do.” Was his reply.

“Since when have you cared about the right thing?” Mason's head whipped round. He didn't look too pleased; his eyes had narrowed. I shrank back into Liam's leather sofa. Mason wouldn't say anything else. When we turned up this morning, he took the credit in 'dragging me back', so he didn't have to worry about Liam.

I wasn't normally scared of anything but the thought of Liam angry terrified me. I had never actually been told off by Liam. For the past three months I'd lived with Liam, I'd never been told off for anything. By the look on his face this morning, I was sure he was going to hit me. Instead, he just pointed to roughly where the living room was and walked away. This was all in silence. Silence was bad. Very bad.

It was only for another few seconds of silence before Liam walked in. Cassie hadn't joined him. I thought she would have been with him, telling me how disgusted she is with my behaviour. How I disrespected Liam (okay, that might have been a little bit true), how I was stupid for getting pregnant. Actually, I had only realised just how quiet the house was – no noise from Kaya, Caroline... how had I not noticed?

“Samara, I understand how hard it is for you being here. Especially with your mother but you can't run off.” Oh Jesus... this would be worse than a lecture. It was one of those 'I'm disappointed in you' type of talks – where they've got the soft voice, the pitying look in their eye. “It's Christmas as well – to drop everything and just run off, without letting anyone know? It's irresponsible. You've got a baby on the way.”

“Uh-huh.”

“It's not fair on anyone. Cassie had an angry phone-call from some guy that you were supposed to be staying with. You've worried a lot of people.”

“Fine. I'm sorry.”

“It's not good enough. You're still a child-”

“I'm not a child, Liam.” I hated being called a child – I was seventeen soon.

“A teenager – but it makes no difference. You're acting like a child running off. You think you're an adult but you're not. Mars, I've been really lenient with you so far – I've let you do whatever you like. Let you spend my money how you like. I've not even given you any warnings when you've been rude to Veronica but that stops now.” I didn't want to say anything. Liam looked too angry for me to make a snippy comment. “You're going to take responsibility for your immature behaviour. You'll apologise to Veronica and Cassie for your behaviour.”

“You can't make m-”

“Samara Ray, if you even say you won't, I will make you regret coming to live here.” I restrained myself from blurting out anything I'd regret.

“Okay.” Was my tongue-bitten reply.

“Secondly, you're not to go out unless you've got my permission for the next two months I'll drop you off to school, pick you up and if you need to go anywhere, I'll take you there myself. And thirdly, you'll start doing chores around the house – cleaning, hoovering.”

“What about-” I started to protest but Liam silenced me, again.

“You're pregnant, not cripped. You've got working legs and arms and you can do some work. It's time you learnt responsibility.” He looked at me, challenging me to protest. I didn't. I got why Liam was so angry. I loved him, and I wasn't going to upset him. Besides, it was only two months. It wasn't forever!

“Fine.” I admitted defeat. I knew that Liam wouldn't give up either – this time, it was his way or no way.

“Good. Your friend can stay if he likes.” Both me and Liam looked at Mason. I lifted my brow, trying to get him to introduce himself. It took a few seconds before a light bulb appeared above his head.

“Oh right. Mason, Mason Polo.” He threw out his hand. My uncle took it and introduced himself, even though it was clear who he was. “I'm one of Mars' longest friends.” That was all he said – nothing of our past, nothing of what he helped me through (I was thankful). I could see my uncle eyeing him up. With Dylan he wasn't too fussed because he'd seen him many a times and he was only two years older. Mason, on the other hand, was twenty – four years older than me.

“I take it you'll be staying for a while? I've never met any of Mara's old friends, with the exception of Dylan.” I was glad Liam wasn't angry any more. Or at least he wasn't acting like it.

“Uh, yeah. I think Mara needs some good influence in her life. From what I've heard she's still a wild child.” Oh God. I cringed when he said 'wild child'. Show your age, why don't you Mase.

“If you can get her to settle down and be more responsible then by all means, feel free to say as long as you like.” I smiled at Liam, silently thanking him for pointing out how 'irresponsible' I was. “Anyway, I'm going to leave you two together. Enjoy your last day of freedom, Mara. Your mum and sister will be back soon – I sent them out for the day. Couldn't stand Caroline's whiny voice any longer.”

“Thanks, Liam. See you later.” I waved as Liam walked out the lounge. Before he completely disappeared, he turned back and told me that I needed to be back for dinner. Apparently we all needed to sit down and have a good talk. Great. More interaction with the bitch ex-mother and the bitch soon-to-be-stepmother. What a great dinner that would be!

“Come on Marzipan. Show me round your new town then!”

--------

I'm so sorry that this is an awful chapter but it's the best I could manage.  I will try and upload more often but I've got a buttload of work and I can't cope with it all :(.  Also, flooding is getting worse - where we live, we had a powercut tonight!  Absolutely terrifying.  Glad I have a LED light on my lighter!

Please enjoy and I promise I will try to upload soon!  (I gotta try and get back into the swing of writing).  Love to you all, and thanks to who did my survey xx

P.S. This chapter isn't proofread.