Chapter Six

Keon Wyatt

The plan was simple. Go along with the marriage plans like Alphonse wants us to, but to try to find out why he wanted us to marry. It would definitely be hard and would require some snooping, but I'll dig my ass to the center of the Earth to find out what my dad's deal is. Kyle is a detective but he can't help because there's no way Alphonse would tell him anything. The only person I could think of was Brianna's sister Reese. Before Alphonse knocked her up, she worked in his office as his campaign assistant. Then he boosted her up to be his personal assistant and finally as his mistress. But that's another story. Anyway, Reese probably could get me into his office so I can find some clues to tell me what's going on. So far, this is the only idea I have. Only time and progress can lead me further. The main thing is that I keep my litte investigation discreet so that he doesn't suspect anything.

I took Torrence back home after we played some Madden. The ride to his house was an annoying journey of me promising to be nice to Naiya as if I didn't buy her ass new clothes so her body wouldn't suffocate, new shoes so her toes won't get any more fucked up and not to mention an smorgasbord of shit she needed to get through what sounded like a difficult ass seven day or so menstrual period. For some reason, Naiya's surprising events today plus us watching that Bow Wow episode of Catfish made me think about women who want to be men and how they still have periods. And I don't know why but on my way home from dropping Torrence off, I googled to see if it was possible for them to get rid of their period. Just a curious motherfucker I am I tell you.

When I got back home, I got into the shower and laid out my choice in casual outfit for tonight which ended up being a short sleeved light blue Polo button up shirt, khaki shorts, and light brown Sperry boat shoes. I really didn't want to go but I promised my mom who told me that I didn't have to stay long. Which I was looking forward to not doing anyway. Torrence told me to come back to his house later on when I left the party because he was inviting Brendan over.

After I showered and laid my ironed clothes out, I took a much needed nap. The ruined high from earlier made me a little sleepy and if I wanted to fake show off my new fiancé to a group of people I didn't care for, I needed proper rest to uphold me for the hour of bullshit lies I would be telling.

Three hours later, Naiya and I were dressed and getting in my car ready to head out. She looked much better than the girl I saw curled in a ball earlier underneath her comforter trying to decide if she was more comfortable hot or cold. One of the many reasons why I'm glad I'm no female. It was quiet in the car until I pulled up to a red light. We were about ten minutes away from home and I chose this moment to look at her left hand to see if she was wearing the ring. And she was. It actually looked nice on her finger. I started to ask my dad how he knew her ring size but I decided against it, not really being interested in how he found information like that. For all I know, he could've tried out rings on her finger when she was passed out in a slumber in that basement or maybe he had a team of investigators who found out that shit for him.

My eyes trailed up to the side of her face. Her head was down so she was probably looking at fingers while she played with them. The side, facing me, of her bottom lip was tucked into her mouth in between her teeth giving the assumption that she was all up in her thoughts like I am most of the time. "How you feel?"

"Better. Much better...thanks."

I nodded a little but of course she wasn't looking at me so she probably didn't notice. "You nervous?"

That got her to look at me. "How can you tell?"

I looked back at the road just as the light turned green and kept driving. It would be difficult to watch her lips move so that it could aid me in knowing what she was saying so I leaned on the middle console a little so that I could better hear her muffled voice. "You're fidgeting with your fingers and...your leg is damn near shaking the car."