Chapter Eight

*Dayna in the media*                     

                     Keon Wyatt

"Have you found anything out yet?"

Me and Kyle were in the backyard of his condo on the patio smoking cigars. Brianna was in the kitchen cooking and teaching Naiya how to make seafood jambalaya and hopefully talking to her about her issues too. Alphonse and our mom weren't here yet.

"About why dad wants me and Naiya to marry, no. But about her, hell yeah."

"What about her?"

I checked the double doors that separated the kitchen from the patio to see Naiya stirring in a pot on the stove while Brianna stood beside her with her arms folded talking. I turned back around and flicked the burnt ends of my cigar. "She was beat up and raped at that orphanage."

Kyle was quiet. When I looked at him, his left eye brow was raised and he had this confused yet angry look on his face. "Did she say who did it?"

"Yeah...three dudes. She said it happened more than once..." He hung his head and shook it. "When I was about to leave her at the orphanage that night, they was standing outside of the place."

"Word?"

"Yeah. She said one of them is the nephew of the lady who runs the place. Naiya said she does some fucked up shit too."

"She gotta make a report."

"I know...and I wanted to talk to her about it but you know sometimes I have trouble being sensitive."

"Well maybe if she tells Brianna she can talk her into making one. And if she does, that'll help us build another case against the orphanage. Ain't no telling what's going on in there now."

"That's what I'm hoping. She seems really comfortable around Brianna."

"Plus Brianna can relate..."

"That too."

"How was her first day back at school?"

"I don't know...I mean I guess it was okay. I met her best friend today...she told me Naiya had trouble eating before too...I think she probably starved herself or something."

"Damn. You think she needs therapy yo?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "You tell me, you the detective here."

"I'm asking because I figured you would see the signs of needing it."

"Just because I went through therapy before?"

"Yeah man."

"Let Brianna decide that. She's the one who went through something similar to her."

"But Naiya isn't trying to kill herself."

"They both were raped though."

It goes without saying that this is a rough subject for both of us. I mean, who wants to hear about something like this? It was hard enough for Kyle to learn about Brianna and to almost lose her, more than it was for me when I heard about it. To this day, the only people who know about Brianna's past is Kyle, myself, our mom, Alphonse, Brianna's sister Reese and Kyle's partner Jamie. To me that sounds like a whole lot but we're her family. Even Alphonse is included in that despite his lack of support of them being together. To this day I don't know why he's against it but he knows better than to approach Kyle with it anymore after he did the first time and got two black eyes and a busted lip.