Chapter Sixteen

Over the next few weeks, while Keon and Naiya's investigation on why they were forced into marriage was hitting dead ends, the wedding preparations were getting finalized. The guest list was set, invitations were sent, RSVP responses were received, they had a DJ, the dresses were altered, tuxedos were tailored, flowers were ordered, and the food was set. The closer and closer they got to the wedding date, the more nervous the two of them got. On top of that, ever since their conversation about Keon and Dayna, the two of them have been a little standoffish.

And then Naiya had meetings with the city prosecutor about her pending sexual and physical abuse cases. The two of them barely had time to even worry about why Alphonse wanted to them together because it was literally too much going on.  Before they knew it, it was literally the night before the big day. Naiya had been in her bedroom for the majority of the evening after she returned home from getting pampered and having her hair done. She didn't like the straightened look on her but Keon's mother Tessa promised her that after the wedding she could wash it and go back to her wavy/curly look. Which would be perfect for their "honeymoon" trip to the islands.

In front of her laid out on the bed were two different packets of paper. One was for Spelman and the other was for the University of Georgia. They were both commitment letters that she had to fill out in order to be listed as an incoming freshman for the Class of 2019. There hasn't been much talk from anyone about her college choices, aside from Tyler, because all the attention has gone to the wedding. However, it still hung in the back of her mind of course because aside from "marrying" Keon, this decision was important for her future. Tyler, who had made it clear that he liked her but could sense that she had some things going on in her life that she needed to sort out before getting into anything with him, decided to keep them as just friends for now. He was trying to convince her to come to Spelman because he didn't want high school to be the last time he saw her. He would be across the street at Morehouse which left an opportunity for them to possibly explore a relationship in the future.

Naiya just didn't know what to do.

Her phone beeped with a text from one of the reasons why she was so indecisive. He asked if he could come in and did so seconds after she said yes. She quickly shoved the packets underneath her pillows and rolled over onto her back.

"Hey." Keon greeted her as he plopped down on the bed beside her.

"Hey."

"You okay?"

"Yeah. I just hope tomorrow hurries up."

"Word. Alphonse downstairs running around like a chicken with his head cut off. You're not staying here tonight right?"

"No. Shanelle is getting her things together and she's coming by to get me with Brianna."

Tonight the two of them with their parties were staying at a hotel. Keon didn't want to get married in a church so the ceremony would be at the hotel and the reception was just a short drive away. Guests would be taken there by limo buses for the cocktail hour after the wedding and then taken back after the reception ended. Many of the guests even made reservations at the same hotel.

"Nervous?"

"Of course. I'm about to become a wife for all intents and purposes."

"But remember our plan Nai. We'll divorce in six months. My mom knows and we have you set. You'll be fine."

"Set how?"

"You know my parents load my bank account up. I already made you an account and put in some money for you. Don't worry you'll be comfortable trust me. Plus your college is paid for for four years, I hooked you up with something else which is a surprise-"