Chapter One.

Kharter

May 22, 2007

"Kharter Turner," the assistant principal announced as I played with my fingernails nervously. I felt my cheeks burning from smiling so hard and rose from my seat. I heard my parents whoop and holler as I went to get my diploma. As I headed back to my seat, I glanced at my best friend, Myles. We gave each other our signature thumbs up and smiled at each other. Considering his last name started with an A, our seats were pretty distant from each other. After he finished calling our last classmate, he smiled at our class.

"Graduates, I'm going to ask you to stand and put your tassel to the left," our assistant principal announced. We stood up and put our tassels to the left
.

"Ladies and gentlemen, give a round of applause for Montevallo High School's Class of 2007!"

We threw our graduation caps in the air and yelped in celebration. After gathering our caps, Myles ran to me and picked me off my feet for a hug.

"We did it bestie!"

I just laughed as he spun me around and placed me on my feet .

"Our babies is all grown up, Diane!" I heard Myles' mother yelp. Myles and I turned around and was face to face with our families. My father pulled me in a hug and kissed my forehead.

"Oh, what am I gonna do without my baby girl?"

"Dad, you still got me," my seven year old brother said .

"Eh, not the same," my dad joked.

My brother sucked his teeth and we just laughed.

"Don't worry, Michael. Kharter going to be a big-time lawyer and she'll make us proud," Myles' father said as he patted my father on the back.

"Oh Diane, I know you're worried! She's going so far away," Myles' mother joked.

"I trust Kharter, I know she'll keep her head in them books," my mother said as she gave me a stern look.

"Or your best friend will come all way to D.C. and put your butt in check," Myles butted in and looked at me.

"Come on Myles and Kharter, let me get a picture of two graduates," Myles' mother said .

Myles walked to me and smiled. He draped his arm around my shoulder and we smiled for the picture.

"Alright, now silly face!"

I put bunny ears behind Myles' head and Myles stuck his tongue out and put up the peace sign.

Myles' mom, Mrs.Aretha, chuckled at our goofiness and took the picture.

After we left the auditorium from the graduation, I decided to ride with Myles. We drove in comfortable silence as the radio softly played.

"Kharter?"

"Yeah?"

"So, Demetrius having a graduation party tonight and I was wondering if you would like to come along with me."

"Sure, why not?"

"So, I'll pick you up around 9?"

We pulled up at my house and I nodded.

"Definitely, I'll be ready by 9."

I got out of Myles' car and walked to my front door and was welcomed by my parents.

"Hey guys, what happened to us going out to eat tonight?"

"Sorry sweetheart, I think your brother is catching a cold or something. You know how your mother is," my dad chuckled as he flipped through the channels on TV.