Chapter Nine.

Kharter

November 16, 2015

I had to admit, last night with Myles was fun. Just being in each other's presence, reminiscing about old times. My parents headed off to work this morning, while Kenny and I stayed at home. It's Thanksgiving Break, so he doesn't have school this week. Kenny was still sleeping while I sat in the living room, sipping on a cup of coffee. I flipped through the channels until I landed on Boomerang. Tom and Jerry was on, which is favorite show since I was a kid. On Saturday mornings, Kenny and I will grab a bowl of Captain Crunch and just watch Boomerang all morning. I was laughing at Tom and Jerry's shenanigans until I heard footsteps. I turned my head and it was Kenny rubbing his eyes.

"Good morning sis," he yawned as he sat beside me.

"Good morning, slept good?"

He nodded his head and just watched Tom and Jerry with me.

"You know what would make this better?"

I asked him and he looked at me, waiting for an answer.

"Captain Crunch."

"I was thinking the same thing," he smiled at me.

He hopped off the couch and went into the kitchen. He brought Captain Crunch, milk, two bowls, and two spoons. He gave me a bowl and I made me a bowl of cereal. After he made his bowl, he looked at me.

"To old times."

He said as he held out his spoon.

"To old times."

I replied as I tapped my spoon with his.

Myles

Last night with Kharter was amazing. Lord knows I missed her so much and hanging out with her and the family brought back so many memories. Times when we would just chill out at each other's house, talking about random things. Last night, Kyla decided to spend the night over my mom's house while I went over to Kharter's house. I knocked on my mom's door, waiting for an answer. The door finally opened and I was greeted by my father.

"Hey son, come on in," he said as he opened to door wider. I stepped inside and caught the whiff of something baking, something like a cake.

"Ma baking this early?"

He nodded his head yes and I just smirked. I walked in and laughed at the sight I was seeing. Kyla and my mother was listening to Burning Mary by Tina Turner and was trying to do her little dance. I pulled out my phone and started recording. I must've laughed a little too hard because they both looked my way.

"Daddy!"

"Hey Tina Turner," I joked as I picked her up.

"Me and Grandma are baking a cake."

"Looks more like yall doing a performance."

"That too," my mother chuckled.

"Go upstairs and go get your stuff," I directed Kyla as I put her down.

She nodded her head and ran off.

"So, how was it?"

"It was good, we talked and laughed just like old times."

"That's great, where's Dominique?"

"Hmm, I don't know. Probably getting some stuff for the wedding."

"Mmm."

"What does that mean?"

"What you talking about?"