Chapter Twenty-Six

Dominique

"Family of Keisha McCall?"

Rico glanced at me and shook his head. He moved towards the doctor gave him a firm handshake.

"Yes sir, I'm Keisha's fiancé. Is everything alright?" Rico stated.

I'm not even going to lie, hearing him say those words did make my heart sank a bit.

"I'm sorry to inform you sir, but Ms. McCall has passed away due to her major head trauma to her skull. We tried everything, but it was too late. I'm sorry," the doctor said as he walked away.

"Rico?"

"Dominique, get away from me RIGHT now," Rico growled as he walked away from me.

"Rico, I'm sorry. Is there something you want me to do-"

"Actually there is plenty of things you can do. You're going to get that DNA test and you're going to tell the police the truth when they investigate."

"But-"

"I don't have time to argue with your dumb ass right now. You're going to do what I say," he said as he looked with low and red eyes.

Myles stood off silently, but finally decided to speak up.

"I'll take the prenatal DNA test man. I just want Kharter safe at home where she belongs."

"I got you bruh, we definitely need to devise a plan where we can get Kharter home and for the police to arrest Demetrius."

Kharter

Demetrius seemed anxious and jittery after his friend left. He stood near the window, looking outside.

"Demetrius, you okay?"

"You must stay. I can't let you go," he mumbled.

"Stay? Demetrius, I thought you wanted to make me happy."

He turned to me with dark eyes, he didn't even look recognizable.

"You are going to stay with me. I'm going to make you happy I promise."

"But-"

My words were cut short by a hit across my face. I don't know what scared me more: Demetrius' demeanor or how he just slightly broke my jaw. Even though I was afraid, I was not going to let him see me sweat. He turned back around, giving me a chance to pick up his vase and slam it against the back of his head. He stumbled trying to regain his consciousness before I struck him again with a heavy tabletop piece. He slowly stumbled away from the front door and I made a run for it. It wasn't far until I felt a sharp pain in my leg. Did this nigga just shoot me? I continued to run with a limp, making sure to not put weight on my injured leg. He eventually caught up with me and wrestled my body to the ground with my head hitting the concrete first. He stood over me and looked at me once again with those dark eyes.

"This time I want you all to myself," he grumbled as he tried to pull my pants down.

Before he could pull his pants down ,we heard car doors slam.

"Get down on the ground now!"
I tried to look to see who it was, but my vision was slowly getting blurry.

The sound of gunshots ran through my ear before I went unconscious.

Myles

I stared at Kharter as she laid in the hospital bed, despite her injuries, her face still had a glow to it. There was a slight knock at the door and I told whoever it was to come in. It was Kharter's parents, who both had the look of worry and relief upon their faces.

"I'm so thankful our baby is safe," her mother cried.

"Thank you so much Myles for helping us find our daughter. How can we ever repay you ?" Kharter's father stated as he started to dig into his wallet.

"No sir, it's fine. Just having Kharter here and safe is good enough for me."

A slight knock was at the door and the doctor came in.

"Hello everyone," the doctor said, while looking at her clipboard.

"Everything is going to be okay with Kharter, correct?"

"Yes, a bullet that hit her leg was successfully removed during surgery. She will have to walk around with a cast for a couple of months, but other than that, just a few minor scratches that will heal in no time," she told us with a reassuring smile.

"Thank you doctor," I told her as I continued to analyze Kharter.

"She's slightly under some meds from surgery, so she will be asleep for a minute."

The doctor wrote down her clipboard a little more and gave us a head nod before leaving.

A Couple Hours Later

Kharter

My eyes fluttered open and I was awakened by the beeping of a hospital room. I heard a faint snore and saw Myles asleep in the hospital chair. Soreness ran throughout my body as I tried to straighten myself a little bit. I guess my bed made a little more noise than I intended because Myles' eyes opened and landed directly on me. He quickly rose from his seat and pulled my face in his hands.

"Kharter, I'm so glad you're safe," he whispered to me as he looked at my face.

"I'm just glad to be here," I whispered back before he pulled me into a kiss. I felt his tongue slip in, so I decided to add tongue as well, deepening the kiss. Our tongues wrestled back and forth until he took control, biting my bottom lip before pulling away.

"Myles, lay in the bed with me," I told him, patting the area next to me.

He gave me a smirk before crawling beside me in the hospital bed and pulling me closer to him, making sure to watch my leg. My head laid on his chest, hearing our similar heartbeats.

It was a comfortable silence with the sound of just us breathing. I cleared my throat and decided to break the silence.

"So, what now?"

"You're my woman. We have been through too much eye-opening shit these past few weeks for you not to make you mine."

"How is it going to work though? Eventually I have to return to New York and go back to work."

"Kyla and I will be coming with you. I'll find me a nice little job up that way and we'll go from there."

"Myles, I don't know. It's just-"

"It's just what, babe? Talk to me."

"Myles, you have a whole life down here and don't want to interrupt that. You have a great job, teaching an amazing set of kids, you're close to your family, and the Dominique situation. I feel as though it's just too much right now for you to make an abrupt move like that."

"Kharter, my life will not be complete with you not in it. I want to be able to call you mine and see that beautiful face every morning," he reassured me, kissing my forehead.

"Okay, how about this, I handle some stuff back at work and I'll come home again, and we can start from there?"

"Sounds like a plan to me."