Chapter Seventeen.

Dominique

My eyes slowly opened and I seemed to be in a hospital room. All I remember is passing out in Walmart's bathroom.

"You're finally up!"

A nurse yelped as she walked closer to me.

"What happened?"

I asked her as I straightened my body, but was brought back down with the pain in my body.

"You had a drug overdose and suffered some injuries when you fell to the ground."

"Anything major?"

"Although, we were expecting the overdose to be serious, it wasn't that bad. All the drugs we found in your body is not healthy for the baby. Doctors recommend a detox program."

"Baby? What baby?"

"Oh, Ms. Turner you're expecting."

"You got to be kidding me," I mumbled to myself.

"Oh, you have a visitor," the nurse yelped.

This nurse is just too happy for me.

"Mind telling who it is?"

"Your fiance, he is a cutie pie," she giggled.

The nurse left and let him in.

"Fiance, huh?"

"That's the only way they was going to let me come back here," Rico chuckled.

He approached me with a bouquet of flowers in his hand and a box of my favorite candy, Sour Patch Kids. I accepted his gifts and gave him a smile.

"Thank you, Rico."

"You're welcome, baby girl. I met Michael , Malik, what's that little boy name?"

"Myles?"

"Yeah, Myles."

"Oh my god, what happened?"

"So, I asked the thirsty receptionist where your room was at and I guess he heard me. He approached me, talking to me like I'm crazy. Then this nigga gone bomb rush me? He had a pretty good right hook though," he chuckled as he rubbed his jaw.

"Fighting in a hospital?"

"Over you, but what they say?"

"Doctors are recommending a Detox program for me, so that the baby-"

"Baby? What baby?"

"I'm pregnant Rico."

"Well, we all know I'm not the father."

"What you mean you not the father? You're the only one I've been messing around with. You calling me a ho?"

"You were cheating on your fiance and you're pregnant with a child who's father is between two guys. I'm not saying you a ho, you just ho tendencies."

"You know what? Just leave."

"You sure you want me to leave? Nobody else was here for except me, Myles, and some big girl that was with Myles.

"Big girl? Probably was my cousin Kharter, it's obvious he chooses her or me."

"Then why he with you?"

"I think he does it out of pity. He found me in a pretty bad place, like I guess he feels he obliged to be with me or something."

"Well, you know I'm here for you and the child that may be mine."

"Well, that's sweet of you," I chuckled at Rico.

"You need me to get you anything?"

"Some Arby's will be nice."

"Ain't you supposed to be eating hospital food?"

"Well, you already brought me candy and all."

"It's for after you get out and for me too."

"What you mean you too? Nigga, it's my candy."

"That I bought and you sharing."

"Please get me some Arby's."

"Alright Nique," he joked as he playfully rolled his eyes.

Kharter

"You alright Kharter?" RaShad asked me as he drove.

"Yeah , I'm fine," I replied as I continue to look out my window. Since Myles decided to have a tantrum at the hospital, he decided to leave and not return. I had to call RaShad to come pick me up and give me a ride home. We finally pulled up at the house and RaShad put his car in park before turning it off.

"Okay Kharter, what's really on your mind?"

"Nothing, RaShad-"

"Come on, Kharter. You can tell me wassup."

"Have you heard something that just makes you question everything?"

"Yeah, plenty of times. Is this about Myles?"

I nodded my head and he sighed.

"This may sound cliche, but follow your heart."

"It's hard to follow something that isn't exactly leading."

"Then pray, ask God to give you some clarification on things."

"That's something I haven't did in a while."

"And why not?"

"I question about him sometimes. Like doesn't he even hear me or is he listening at all. After graduation night, I just lost faith in him. Why would he put me through something like that? I went to church, read my bible, prayed like I was suppose to. But I guess it wasn't enough."

"Look Kharter, just because you feel like he's not answering, does not mean he's not listening. Just because we follow God , that doesn't mean obstacles not gone come our way. I don't know exactly what happened on graduation night, but I'm sorry it happened to you. I want to congratulate you for being so strong as well. Your story can help someone else who was in your situation."

"RaShad, why do you believe so hard in something you can't see?"

"I may not see him physically, but I can feel him. I know my whole life was nothing but God. Especially in the way our world is now, it's best to believe in something."

"For a young man, you have the wisdom of an old man," I joked and he just laughed.

"Remember what I said Kharter, just pray," he told me as I unbuckled my seat and had my hand on the door.

"Thank you RaShad," I said as I pulled him into a hug. He gave me a quick hug and we decided to go our separate ways. He waited until I was safely inside before I drove off. I walked in the living room to be greeted by my family's saddened faces.

"Hey guys, wassup?"

My mother walked to me and pulled me into a hug.

"It's about Myles."

"What happened?"

"He was in a bad car accident earlier today. We were waiting on you to come home before we head up to UAB."

"Alright, well let's go."

We left the house and got into the car. Words from Myles and I conversation earlier replayed in my head:

"I can't help who I love and I love you."

"Myles, please just stop-"

"Loving you? That's impossible."