sixteen

"Good morning, sweetheart" Liz spoke and smiled sweetly when seeing Luke walk into the kitchen, wearing a smile himself.

His blond hair was brushed so it looked unbelievably soft and his upper body was clothed with a bit too big light grey sweater that went down to his upper thighs, covering a bit of Luke's skinny black jeans.

"I knew that sweater would look good on you" Liz spoke and inspected the garment she had bought for her son a few days ago. Luke nodded and smiled as he tugged on the sleeves and created sweater paws.

Luke sat down by the breakfast table and started making himself a bowl of Lucky Charms, trying to get as many marshmallows as possible. He poured some milk in the bowl and started eating while watching his mother calmly read the newspaper.

"Morning" a voice grumbled from behind Luke and the young boy didn't even bother to answer or turn around to look at his brother. Luke was still very mad at him.

"Good morning," Liz spoke happily, not noticing the silent war between the two brothers, "Your protein bars all other drinks and such you wanted to bring to your practice are at the top shelf of the first cabinet"

Jack only mumbled a low 'okay' before taking out a glass and poured himself some juice. He sipped on the drink while walking back and forth in the kitchen, making himself something to eat.

Luke carefully moved his spoon around his bowl and only picked out the marshmallows to eat. I he looked at the colorful food before raising his head and looked at his mother.

"Mom, how does it feel being in love?"

The loud crash of a glass hitting the floor was heard right after Luke's question and both Luke and Liz turned their heads to look at Jack who had dropped his glass of juice on the floor, he was staring at Luke in disbelief.

"Jack," Liz sighed and shook her head, "Clean that up quick so you have time to eat before you have to go to school"

Jack's jaw was locked as he still was almost glaring at his younger brother, but Luke only rolled his eyes.

"What was it you asked Luke?" Liz asked as she turned to look at her youngest son.

"How did you know you were in love with dad?" Luke asked and Liz hummed in thought before smiling at Luke.

"I just knew," she spoke and Luke smiled small at the gleam in his mother's eyes, "I was young and clueless, but when I met your father things just felt right. He made me happy and even though it may not be possible, he warmed my heart"

Luke smiled because that's what he felt; Ashton made him complete, he made him happy, and he made his heart warm up.

"There's no words to describe love, Luke, you just have to feel it" Liz said and smiled fondly at her son's loving smile.

"Do you recognize the feeling?" she asked and laughed lightly when Luke blushed.

"This is bullshit" Jack scoffed as he wiped the floor with paper.

"Excuse me?" Liz said in a scolding voice when hearing her son's bad choice of words.

"He's 16 mom, you can't fall in love when you're 16 years old," Jack said and rolled his eyes.