twenty three

before starting the chapter, i wanna say thank you to @lucifersoverdose for the drawing, @KarlaDeLynch for the edit, and @herbinkohoe for the trailer! i love them all so much and thank you for taking time to do all this, ily!!
-

A loud and heavy knock on the door startled 6 year old Michael awake from his deep slumber. The small boy sat up in his bed with wide eyes and slowly climbed down from it to hurry over to his mother's bedroom.

Without knocking, Michael walked into the room with a quivering lip. "Mom?" he called out but got no answer.

He made his way over to his mother's bed but frowned when seeing it was empty. Her room was a mess though. All her drawers were opened and all the stuff inside were gone. All that was left was a simple sock and a plain shirt.

Two more knocks on the door made Michael jump, causing tears to form in his eyes.

"Karen! You better fucking open this door, you whore!" a manly voice said through the door, and Michael was even more afraid now.

Without any time to react, the door to Michael and his mother's apartment was ripped open, making little Michael, now standing in the middle of the living room, gasp in fear.

"Where's your mom, kid?" one of the men asked in a harsh voice after looking through the apartment quickly.

Michael shrugged his shoulders, too scared to speak, causing the man to clench his jaw and roar out a frustrated scream.

"She fucking tricked us! That bitch tricked us!"

"Chill," the other man spoke with a smirk on his face, "We've got her place and we've got her son, she'll come back"

But Karen didn't come, and after just a few days, Michael was thrown out into the city in just a hoodie and thin sweatpants. He cried for days, being sad about his mother's disappearance.

After months of living out on the streets of New York, Michael learned to be angry at his mother. She was the one who had left him, she was the one who never came back, and she was the one who caused this.

Michael was young and never really knew what life or death meant, but if people saw the small boy walking down the street, they'd describe him as death walking.

Michael was skinny, almost just skin and bones, and his skin was so so pale. He smelled awful, and his body was breaking down day after day.

But Michael kept on living, even though he probably shouldn't, he still did. And it was lucky he did so, because after walking for hours to reach the outer places of New York, Michael eyed a pretty treehouse in the backyard of a nice and big brick house. With rain and thunder pouring down on little Michael, he decided that there was where he'd sleep for the night.

So Michael did just that. He ran toward the house and climbed up the ladder to climb in to the treehouse. The small house was filled with pillows and blankets as well as tons of comics.

Michael's eyes were wide as he let his eyes roam it all. He placed his head on one of the pillows, wrapped his body in one of the blankets, and grabbed a action comics before falling asleep.