forty

this song is everything for this story. enjoy.
-

"Good morning" Liz spoke softly as Luke stepped in to the kitchen early morning with his hair a mess and bags under his eyes. The expression on his face was pure anger mixed with hurt, making his mother bite her lip anxiously.

"How are you feeling?" she asked again, only for Luke to walk past her to grab a bowl, not saying anything back.

Liz understood that there probably was nothing more to do than to let Luke calm down before protecting her husbands actions yesterday, even though she knew Luke wouldn't like it. But she was with Andrew on this; she did not like that Luke was in a relationship with Ashton. She did not condone it.

So with silence spreading through the kitchen, Luke messily made a bowl of cereal and ate it without any interest, digging his nails into the palms of his hands to stop himself from breaking out in screams and tears.

Luke was more than angry about how his father had treated both him and Ashton yesterday. He had no right to, because Ashton had done nothing wrong.

That was a lie; Ashton had done plenty of things wrong, but not towards Luke. Nothing so wrong to deserve to be beaten and thrown out of the house. Nothing so wrong to be banned from seeing Luke.

Andrew had no right to make that decision, because Luke was not a child anymore, and he was more than allowed to fall in love with whoever he wanted. And Luke wanted Ashton.

And both Andrew and Liz had been clear after Luke came out to them that he could fall in love with anyone, and they'd still love and support him. This just didn't feel like the love Luke was used to.

"Do you need a ride to school? I have to leave in 10 anyway" Liz spoke up again, smiling hopefully at her son, only for Luke to dig his nails even deeper down his skin.

"Why? So you can make sure I go to school and not run off to meet up with Ashton?" he answered, his voice weak and sad after all the tears he'd wept last night.

"Luke," Liz warned, her tone now harsher as she was starting to get tired of her son's attitude, "I know you're mad right now, but as time goes you'll know we've done you a favor"

"You haven't done me a favor," Luke argued and angrily stood up from his seat and pushed the filled bowl of cereal away from himself, "You're only ruining my life and breaking my heart"

Luke turned to leave but the heavy sigh his mother released made him turn around to glare at her.

"Luke, we are definitely not ruining your life, that's not in any way true. You are 16 years old and you have just started living. Your father and I are making sure you are living your life like you should, which is long and healthy like ever other 16 year olds out there"

Luke scoffed and turned around to finally run back up to his room. As his bedroom door was shut closed, his eyes started to tear up and his lip started to quiver. He pushed himself away from the door and walked over to his phone, pressing down on the home button to only be disappointed by no notifications.

He was hoping for something from Ashton, just a simple call or text to make sure the older boy was okay, but he had gotten neither of it. He wanted Ashton to call and make sure Luke was alright as well, but he clearly wasn't without Ashton in his presence.