twenty eight

"Everything is looking good, Ashton. Blood pressure looks good and your body is stable. We just need you to stay here a few days be 100% sure you're ready to go home. We still need to be careful with your stitches"

"I'm fine" Ashton mumbled and looked at the nurse with tired eyes. He was sick of people checking up on him every minute or so. He was fine, alive and breathing, so that shows that he's perfectly okay.

"Now you are, yes. But a few days ago we nearly lost you, so we can't take any chances" the nurse spoke and Ashton only sighed and nodded before the nurse walked out of the room.

Ashton was left alone and breathed out heavily as he placed his head back on the pillow and closed his eyes in exhaustion and frustration. He was done being trapped on this hard hospital bed. He couldn't even sit up by himself and all the babying around him was making his temper grow awfully fast.

He had woken up a few hours ago, and people were already pushing all his buttons. Ashton had never needed anyone to take care of him, and he didn't need anyone to do it now.

He was fine.

A light knock on the door was heard, making Ashton open one eye and glance at the door, smiling small when seeing his pretty blonde slide into the room. As Luke noticed that small and slightly crooked smile on Ashton's face, he smiled back.

"I love this" Luke whispered out with a giggle as he sat down one the side of Ashton's bed with slightly rosy cheeks.

"Me being in the hospital?" Ashton mumbled and closed his eyes again, blindly searching for Luke's hand and intertwined their fingers.

"No," Luke said and shook his head, "I love when you smile at me. It's so.. amazing"

Ashton shrugged, not thinking it was such a big deal, but tightened his hold on Luke's hand to show him affection.

"Again," Luke spoke and watched Ashton furrow his eyebrows, "Smile"

"Luke-" Ashton sighed but Luke stubbornly shook his head and smiled sweetly.

"Do it again," Luke spoke and Ashton rolled his eyes, "Please" Luke pleaded and pouted before Ashton cracked another smile through his irritation and slight frustration.

Really though, it was only a smile. A tug at the corner of your mouth, a stretch of your lips. But for it to be Ashton, it was so much more. It wasn't just a smile, it was a sign that he was living, and he was even more than alive than before.

For Luke, those slightly stiff and crooked smiles meant everything. They were so amazing and so beautiful, that every problem Luke carried around were put aside.

Everything that mattered were those simple stretches of Ashton's lips.

"I love you" Luke spoke softly and smiled small. Ashton opened his eyes again and glanced at the blonde before tugging him down by the arm, making Luke lie down beside him.

"I love you too" Ashton murmured before placing his lips on Luke's. Luke was careful and light, making sure not to do anything wrong with the injured Ashton, but obviously the older boy couldn't care less about his injuries.

Ashton breathed heavily as he placed his hands on Luke's waist and tried to pick him up to place the blonde over his lap, but Luke pulled away and frowned at him.

"Stop it, you're hurt," Luke whispered and tangled his way out of Ashton's grip, "And I'm not gonna kiss you like that in a hospital"

Ashton sighed but nodded his head. He should have known - he did know - but he was just relieved that he still had Luke by his side that every chance he got, he wanted to touch Luke.