thirty one

new cover, and it's pretty fucking dope
-

Luke slowly blinked his eyes open and let out a soft noise as he stretched out his body. His eyes finally opened and he squinted at the bright light shining through the open window.

He scrunched his face up before yawning quietly, making the boy beside him in bed breathe out a soft chuckle. Luke turned his head quickly and looked up to see Ashton seated with his back against the headboard, looking down at him.

"Good morning" Luke said in a quiet and raspy voice as he smiled up at Ashton. The older boy reached one hand down and pushed Luke's blond hair away from his blue eyes before placing his hand on his cheek.

"Morning, angel," he whispered out as he took in every inch of Luke's pretty morning features, "How are you feeling?"

"Great" Luke whispered back and smiled even brighter as he moved closer to Ashton and curled his arms around the older boy's waist while resting his head on his chest.

Ashton curled a strong arm around Luke's body, making the blonde feel safe and warm even in a relaxed state like this. Ashton's other hand found its way to Luke's cheek and neck, running his palm up and down against the soft skin.

Luke closed his eyes and smiled small when hearing Ashton's heart beat so calmly against his chest. Every time Luke listened to Ashton's heartbeat, it was always so slow. Even in the hospital it beat so calmly.

"Does your heart always beat so slow?" Luke asked softly while tracing the lines of the tattoos that covered Ashton's chest and upper ribs.

"I guess" Ashton mumbled as he let his warm hand run down Luke's back and stop at the younger boy's lower back. Ashton softly started to massage the area, warming it up with his hand, making Luke sigh out in satisfaction.

"Not when you're scared, right?"

"I'm never scared" Ashton spoke without hesitation. Luke didn't really believe that. Ashton must've surely been afraid of something in his life, but Luke knew better than to question it.

So instead of speaking, Luke stayed quiet and bit his lip in concentration as he followed the lines of a text inked onto Ashton's chest from shoulder to shoulder. When Luke reached the last letter, he mumbled out the sentence.

"With life as a spotlight, light will guide you to darkness. Life does not seek further"

"What?" Ashton asked and looked down at Luke with furrowed eyebrows when hearing Luke speak quietly.

"Your tattoo," Luke said and eyed the edgy font of the text once more before raising his gaze up at Ashton, "What does that mean?"

Ashton looked down at the pretty blonde by his side before running a hand over the tattoo that hung like a big necklace over his chest and shoulders. It was one of the fist tattoos he had gotten on his chest, making the text stand out as it was lying on top of the other tattoos.

"That you live to die, basically" Ashton said and shrugged before relaxing his head back and eyed the ceiling carelessly.

Luke frowned and looked at Ashton with slightly parted lips before speaking up quietly, "Why do you have that inked onto your skin?"

"Because it's the truth" Ashton answered without letting his eyes leave the ceiling.

"The truth?" Luke asked and furrowed his eyebrows. Ashton sighed quietly and tore his gaze away from the ceiling to look down at Luke. Those curious blue eyes could probably see through his soul, and Ashton didn't mind if they could.