twenty five

double update ayy. btw, thanks to @vangoghclifford for the edit!!
-

Luke yawned and tugged the sleeves of his big sweater over his hands, looking smaller than usual as he entered the kitchen early the next morning.

"Good morning, honey" Liz spoke and smiled softly at her son, showing off worry in her eyes still. Luke looked up at his mother and bit his bottom lip before walking over to her and pulled her into a hug.

"I'm sorry, mom" Luke whispered and Liz held her son tightly as she ran a hand through his hair.

"It's okay, you don't need to apologize, Luke. I'm just worried about you," Liz spoke and pulled away slightly to hold her son's face in her hands, "It's just horrible for me as a parent to see you this sad"

"I know" Luke mumbled and stood up on his tippy toes to kiss his mother's forehead. Liz smiled and patted Luke's cheek before turning around to hand him a plate with breakfast.

"I made you some breakfast for you before you go to the hospital" she said and smiled.

"What about school?" Luke asked carefully as he took the plate of food and sat down by the table.

"I can't see you go to school when you feel like this. I want you to make sure your friends are okay before you go back to school"

"But I'll get absence?" Luke asked.

"Dad made sure you got the week off. We don't want to force you to go to school through a time like this" Liz spoke and smiled small, yet sadly, at her youngest son. She was worried about him, but didn't want to pressure him into speaking to her.

"Good morning" Ben spoke as he entered the kitchen and smiled at his family members before walking over to kiss his mother's cheek and ruffled his brother's hair.

"Good morning. Did you hear anything from Jack?" Liz asked and handed Ben a plate of breakfast as well.

"Yeah, he's up and complaining" Ben said and sat down beside his little brother, smiling small at him, "You want me to drive you to the hospital later?"

"I was thinking about going with dad" Luke said and looked at his brother with tired eyes. He hadn't been sleeping much last night. All he had thought about was Ashton, and he was too worried to sleep.

"Dad's sleeping and starts working at 2 pm today. If you don't want to wait until then, you should go with Ben" Liz spoke as she prepared breakfast for Jack as well.

"Oh, okay then" Luke spoke and nibbled at his food as he smiled small at his brother.

"Well, I'm gonna take a shower. If Jack comes down there's breakfast for him on the counter. And if you leave before I'm done," she started and walked over to her sons to place a kiss at the top of their heads, "Then have a great day"

As Liz had left the kitchen and both boys heard her walk up the stairs, Ben turned to his little brother and gave him a worried look.

"How are you feeling today?" Ben asked and Luke shrugged.

"Same as yesterday, I guess," he said and sighed quietly, "It's nice that you're here though. It does makes things easier"

Ben smiled warmly and gave Luke a small nudge, "Good, because that's why I'm here"

"Yeah" Luke said quietly and smiled very lightly at his brother before looking down at his plate of food with yet another sigh.

"I know things are really tough right now, but everything will be okay in the end. Time heals wounds, you know that, so you just have to give Ashton time" Ben spoke and Luke bit his lip.