Chapter 5

I groggily swipe the mascara brush across my eyelashes, not even bothering to curl them. I'm exhausted from my little escapade adventure last night. Not to mention my entire body is smothered in bruises from being nearly slaughtered by a boxer. I never thought in a million years a guy would actually hit a girl, let alone beat me the way Adam did.

I brush out my curls and they just bound back up into light curls and waves. The bags under my eyes are evident despite the makeup I tried to use to cover them. I examine my hands, one is swollen red and the other is fine, then you flip it and it's purple and blue up and down the palm line. I heave a sigh and bend down to grab my book bag, and a groan erupts from my lips at the pain. I'm stiff and bruised and swollen and exhausted. Not a good mix.

I finally convinced Sophia that I'm fine, and just fell down the campus stairs. She wanted to stay and help but I insisted she go on to her classes early. I trudge down the hallway, holding my backpack delicately. I'm screwed either way, I can't put it on my back because deep bruises cover my back and shoulders, and if I hold it in my hand it puts pressure on the bruises there. Marcel-I mean, Harry caused the swollen one when he drug me out of the building.

I walk down the road like a zombie, and finally get to the campus doors. I kick open the door with my foot that, shockingly, is completely cut and bruise free. Call me crazy but I had to wear short sleeves. A sweater barely laying on the bruises hurt. I'm not a hypochondriac, I swear but I couldn't do it.

The black and purple bruises make me look like I was just in a car accident and I'm dreading the humiliation I'll get from people making fun of me. They always do.
They always laugh at me.
Im already late, the hallways are empty and I see class has begun in some.
I honestly could care less at this point.

I heave myself to my class and push the door open.
An angry professor snaps his head at me.
"You're late Miss Darcy-" He stops when he notices how pale I am and the bruises all over me.
"Oh my." He tusks. "Take a seat dear." He says with sympathy in his eyes instead of anger.

I drag myself down to the back, ignoring Marcel completely. I see him out of the corner of my eye. He's back to his original self. Collared shirt, big framed glasses, and slicked back hair.
His mouth is parted, and his eyes wide. I drop my bag to the floor and slowly sit down, whimpering when my bruises back brushes the seat.

"Oh my god.." I hear Marcel whisper.
I don't look at him or acknowledge his presence at all. I pay attention to the professor, ignoring the Psssts I've been getting from Marcel.

"I'm listening." I whisper/yell to shut him up and it works. He goes silent after that.
Finally the teacher wraps up the lesson and says we can chat with our neighbors quietly. I was silently praying he wouldn't say that, I don't want to confront Marcel right now.

"Darcy, I-I'm sorry," Starts Marcel almost immediately. I almost scoff at his stutter. I know the real him now.
"Don't Marcel." I say quietly, avoiding his gaze.
"W-What?" He says in a voice just as low as mine.
"Don't apologize. It's my own fault for being stupid." I look down at my hands and glance up when Marcel towers over me.
"You're not stupid Darcy."
The Marcel from last night is beginning to show.
"I shouldn't have followed you." I point out, my voice cracking on the word you.

"No. You shouldn't have. It was uncalled for, but you're definitely not stupid."

I don't respond, and when the bell rings I stand up a little too fast. I whimper in agony when I move too fast causing pain shooting up my back.

"Are you okay? Let me help you!" Gasps Marcel. I brush him off and pull my book bag along with me and walk past Marcel.

"Jesus Christ, you can't keep running from me Darcy!" An exasperated Marcel exclaims behind me.
I slow my pace and turn to him.
"But I thought you didn't want anything to do with me." I say sheepishly. My raspy voice breaks at the end.