Epilogue

I take a deep breath as we pull into the funeral home parking lot. There's some people standing around watching, as a lot of university students are attending. None of them knew her the way I did.

I get out and walk in after Louis, a few groups of people go quiet when I walk by.
"Isn't that the girls boyfriend?"
"That's the dead girls ex."
"They were so cute."
"I'm glad he's single, he's so cute."

I crinkle my nose in disgust.
I won't be able to move on for a while.

We walk past a condolence book, which has her picture on it. She's smiling at the camera, that twinkle of happiness in her eyes.
I smile and then bend down, writing my condolence her family.

"Harry? Harry Styles?"

I set the pen down and turn to the voice behind me. It's a woman, about mid forties holding the hand of a male toddler.

"That's me." I rasp.
"You were her boyfriend." She blows out air, eyes full of sympathy.
Then I realize, it's her mother and brother she told me about constantly.

"Michelle. Sammy." I say and she nods.
"I'm so glad we've finally met you." She sobs, wrapping me in a hug.
I hug back awkwardly, patting her back for comfort.

"She loved you, you know." I hear her whisper.
I take in a breath with a nod.
"I loved her, Mrs.Parker. So much."
She pulls away and nods.
"I know you did boy." She takes the hand of Sammy, who's decked out in a small all black suit.

I smile a little at him and he looks up at me and giggles. Poor kid.

He's too young now.
He will never remember Darcy when he's grown.

They walk away and I turn back to Louis, who's shaking the hand of the pastor. I walk through the doorway and shake his hand, before meeting Louis in the line for the viewing.
It moves quickly, people bidding goodbye to her and then walking away.
Then it's my turn.

I look into the casket, and feel my heart be wrenched. There she lies, her hands folded across her chest holding a small bouquet of white flowers. She's in a white gown, and her dead hair has been curled and it lies dully around her head. Her eyes are closed and lips are closed as well. She's so pale, and her lips are slightly purple. I rest my hand on top of her folded ones. They are stiff and cold. This makes me feel like someone has jabbed my heart with a knife and twisted it.

I bend down and kiss her head softly, and whisper;
"You saved me in so many ways possible Darcy. I'm so sorry I couldn't save you, love. I love you. I always will."
I pull away and look at her once more with a small smile.

I back away and turn around, taking a seat on the front pew with the family and Louis.

Soon, someone begins playing the grand piano and we all stand. Men come into the church carrying the casket on their shoulders. I bite my lip when they set her down and they begin the ceremony.

The pastor begins speaking about her, saying how happy she was and how she was always smiling.

Soon, it's time to go to the graveside service.
We all leave the church and get into our cars.
I climb in beside Louis, and we pull out after the Hearse. We drive slowly, and people pull off the road for respect as the line of funeral cars drive by.

As soon as we get to the graveyard, I take a deep breath and follow Louis up the small gravel path.
We take a seat in the fold up chairs and wait quietly.

"You okay Harry?" Whispers Louis and I nod, tapping my hand against my thigh.
"This will be all over soon and you can move on." He says and I shake my head.
"It will never be over." I mutter and I hear him sigh.