Get Your Spy On

Get Your Spy On

Chapter 1

Sloane’s POV

Every school is alike. There are the cheerleaders, jocks, nerds, bullies, kids that get picked on, pretty much everything you can think of. Then there’s me, Sloane Adams, the girl who gets by school without getting bullied or even noticed.

Now I’m not the girl who starts school in the middle of the year, and meets the perfect boy for her by dropping her books, I’m the opposite. I’ve lived in California for six years out of my fifteen years of living. I have friends, not the ones you’d have sleepovers with or share secrets with, just people who you talk to so you don’t become unsociable.

At this moment, I’m heading toward the exit of the school, finally leaving the treacherous class known as gym. I slide the hood of my green hoodie over my head, grimacing at the rain. I hate having to walk home from school five days a week. Mom or Dad always picks up my seventeen year-old sister at her private school a little while away from here.

Now there’s another question running through your mind, oh no, poor Sloane, she is the least loved out of the family, but sorry, you’re wrong. My sister goes to a private school since the school I go to wasn’t exactly nice to her.

I saw Wendy Pierce, smiling and handing people cupcakes, for the bake sell maybe. I walk past her, but she grabbed my arm and pulled me back. She smiled at me, her black sleek hair in a tight ponytail. “Sloane right?”

“Er yeah,” I said, slowly lifting the hood of my hoodie down.

“Cupcakes are a dollar fifty, all the proceeds go to charity. You’ll feel good about yourself if you buy one, don’t you think?”

If this was your first day at Wallaceburg High, you’d immediately think Wendy’s a you know what because she’s a cheerleader, but actually she’s always cheerful and nice to people. Some people call her Candy because she’s too sweet.

I fish out two dollars and take a strawberry cupcake with vanilla frosting and little letters in blue frosting saying Charity! Wendy fished through the tin of money, giving me change, but instead I just walked away, figuring fifty cents won’t kill me. I heard her call my name but I continued walking, not looking back.

I start jogging on my way home, feeling the rain hit me as I run. I let the rain hit my blonde hair, not caring if it’s frizzy or anything else normal girls care about. I roll my eyes when I see a girl from my English class making out with her best friends boyfriend on the roof of their car. Two kids are throwing a football back and forth, laughing out loud.

As I near them, one of them throws the football out of reach of the other kid, the football soaring over their head. I instantly jump and grab it, used to the way my reflexes act by now. I throw the kid the football as I turn the corner, smiling when he catches it, nearly knocking him down by the force of the throw. They both watch me, amazed.

I turn on my street, smiling when I see my mom and sister get out of the car, both of them looking my way. Sandy, my sister, waves enthusiastically until I’m walking up the driveway with them. “How was school?”

“Same as usual,” I replied back, wiping my feet on the welcome mat outside of the house. Sandy does the same and we both walk in, dropping our books by the door. As we’re walking up the stairs to our rooms, I look at my sister, watching her intently. “I saw Alex today, he seemed I don’t know, upset today.”

“I don’t know why you take such an interest in him,” Sandy said, opening the door to her room, holding it open long enough to let me in.

“I don’t have an interest in him,” I said quickly. “You fell in love with his older brother so I just assumed you’d know why he’s upset.”